Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DA20 2 Projector Wiring

Author Topic: DA20 2 Projector Wiring
Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 04:26 PM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a DA20 about a month ago. Was running Dolby Digital on a single projector when running a film on tower. System works great.

Now I am setting up to run on both projectors.
I have changed the start switches on both projectors so that each one closes a connection when the motor starts and the lights on the DA20 Proj and Motor go on for each projector. The problem is that the DA20 reverts back to projector 1 a few seconds after a change-over to projector 2. Is there something other than motor start signals that I need to do?

Thanks.

Also I can't seem to find the wiring diagram for a DA20 to CP55.

|  IP: Logged

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 04:34 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings,

The manual you need for the DA20 is right here on film-tech.

It sounds to me like the relay isn't staying closed for the projector. It needs a normally closed connection for projector two, not a momentary pulse.

Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 05:21 PM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manual that I downloaded does not have the fold-out figure 2.9 or 2.10.
The switch stays closed as long as the projector is running. What do you mean by relay?
For projector 1 pins 1-5 are closed for projector 2 pins 5-9 are closed, should 1-5 open when 5-9 closes and vise-versa?

Thanks for the quick response.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-10-2009 05:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have anything connected to the "auto c/o" terminals on the back of the CP55? These contacts need to be closed when projector #2 is selected. Does the "projector 2" light on the processor (not the DA20) stay lit when projector #2 is selected? Does everything work correctly for optical sound?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-10-2009 07:09 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Markus:

You need to have pin 25 of the "DA-20 CP Sense/Control" tied to the Auto C/O terminal on your CP55 to give the DA 20 the changeover command. The other pin of your C/o (Gnd) should be connected to pin 12 of that connector.

Don't change your current setup on the motor start connector..the DA20 needs to know whenever either or both motors are running. And the motor start signals MUST stay on whenever the motor on that machine is running. The best way is to have a relay on the motor power leads, the contacts of which control the DA-20. DO NOT connect the motor leads directly to the DA20 or you will create a very smoky expensive mistake.

For Format and automation control to a CP55 the connections are using the connector I referenced above: (This info is on pdf page 27 of the manual here on F-T)

DA-20 Pin; CP-55 Fanning strip

1; S0 (01 mono)
2; S1 (05 SR)
3; S2 (04 Dolby A)
4; S3
5; S4 (22 mag)
6; S5
7; S6 (60 N/sync)
8; S7 (10 Dolby Dig)

12; GND

25; TB2, "Auto C/O"

Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 07:22 PM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Optical (Dolby SR) sound works perfect for change-overs.
It must be the pin 25 to c/o connection.
I will check it and test it tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-10-2009 08:17 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally the motor voltage drive a relay for each machine. Therefore when proj 1 motor is one, you have a closure; ditto for #2. Projector 1 motor then goes off dropping the #1 relay.

Digital is controlled solely by motor relay closures. (Analog changeover is completely seperate. Louis

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-10-2009 10:52 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not really *completely* separate because if the DA20 does not see the c/o command, it will revert to the first input, as the original poster observed. Therefore, the c/o command must be installed the way Tony laid out. So, both the continuous motor signal and the c/o signal are needed.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-11-2009 12:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted..

[ 02-11-2009, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2009 01:23 AM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the pin 25 to c/o connection. Works great now.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-12-2009 01:37 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Markus, glad to hear the problem is solved. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: