Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Square-Tooth vs. Round-Tooth Drive Belt Systems

Author Topic: Square-Tooth vs. Round-Tooth Drive Belt Systems
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-10-2009 02:23 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2ea Millennium projectors/5-Star soundheads with the round-tooth belts.

My PR-1014/5-Star has the square-tooth belts.

Which belt system is better? Lasts longer...has fewer problems...etc.?

I heard the square-tooth is preferred.

Comments?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-10-2009 03:09 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Square tooth belts are easy to source locally so you don't have to pay Strong's inflated prices. Same with replacement pulleys.

Round tooth belts are metric pitch and a bit harder to find.

Performance wise they seem to be about the same, as far as I know...

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 05:14 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: Nevermind. I misread the above post, so my question is not valid.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-11-2009 01:33 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The current round-tooth belts seem thicker and heavier-duty than the square-toothed ones. They're quieter, too.

Metric (round-tooth) is 2mm pitch, fwiw.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-11-2009 02:09 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The round tooth is a 5mm pitch belt with the catalog number of HTD-670-5M x 13mm .. which will fit this Simplex/5star setup.

I got my belts from McGuire bearing here in Boise, even though they ordered out of Chicago. But saved me a good 11 bucks per pet if I had to order them from STRONG.

(For reference sakes: the square tooth belt is a 260XL x.50 for the same setup..)

Only pinch that I have with the round tooth is: being a more thicker belt and have to bend around that small motor pulley, the backing of the belt do break sooner than the thinner square tooth belt.

Plan on doing belt changes with round tooth belts once a year for both sets. Square tooth belts can last longer, but do take heed of these belts beginning to dry out and fabric weakening after age.

good luck - Monte

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2009 06:55 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which belt is recommended for the Century SA and RE-3 soundhead with Kelmar arms?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2009 08:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,

Round tooth is far superior!!! Benefits include much lower flutter, longer belt life, far longer pulley life, overall smoother operation. It's one of three things Wrong did right! They are also inexpensive and available at most bearing supply houses. The Christie P-35 recently went all round tooth.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-11-2009 09:15 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a generic replacement for the 5-Star/PR-1014 drive belts? Or must these be ordered from Strong?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-11-2009 11:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There will be a number marked on the belt and any good belting shop should be able to get it
I prefer the round metric belts to the older square teeth one as well

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-11-2009 12:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
s there a generic replacement for the 5-Star/PR-1014 drive belts? Or must these be ordered from Strong?

..be the same numbers that I posted to which ones you need.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: