Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What happened to Cinema Digital Sound? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What happened to Cinema Digital Sound?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 04:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the Eastman Kodak Company and along with the Optical Radiation Corporation wanted to play a very vital role in the early days of the development of digital sound for the theatres and introduced the CDS process known fully as Cinema Digital Sound. I understand only nine film were released with CDS track and they were DAYS OF THUNDER, DICK TRACEY, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, FINAL APPROACH, FLATLINERS, TERMINATOR 2, THE DOOR and the final film UNIVERSAL SOLDIER. How did this sound process differ from todays SRD, DTS and SSDDS process? For those of you who had experienced working with this system, was it better than todays sound or not as good? Was it very costly to set up compared to the three existing system or cheaper? I think T2 played at the Cinerama Dome in Los Angeles in 70mm and CDS. I also saw the movie in 70mm here in Hawaii at the Waikiki #3 and I do not know if the print was encoded with Dolby A six track mag sound. Now that the system has been defunct for years, what ever happend to the equipment?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 04:48 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The short answer is it went bust. The problem is that their digital tracks covered the same real estate as the analog tracks (ie. replaced the analog tracks), so the studios needed to maintain dual inventory of prints.

CDS has been widely discussed on Film-Tech. See This Thread for more info.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 06:04 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And because it covered the analog track area, there was NO fallback if the digital track couldn't be read.

And the processor itself was gigantic, it took up the rack space of TWO CP-200's!!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 06:27 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I had heard so far, the CDS process deserved to fail.

-Claude

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 06:32 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"T2" and "The Doors" both sound really good at the Cinerama Dome.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-09-2009 06:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More like it was destined to fail from the beginning, just like ORC. Has ORC ever done anything good for mankind? No, they have not. In fact they set it back several notches.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 06:43 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At 6 MB vs. the less than 1 MB digital 35mm sound systems used today, I bet it sounded awesome.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-09-2009 08:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The compression was less advanced at the time so I bet it sounded similar to today's film sound in quality, needing more room for the same thing. The resolution was the same. In fact I think it may have been at 44.1Khz instead of the 48Khz that Dolby Digital offers.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 10:12 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounded OK. . . . .when it functioned at all. Louis

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You actually only listed 8 films, and according to my records (which may or may not be accurate), there were actually 10 CDS films. The two missing from your list is "For The Boys" and "Hudson Hawk".

Also according to my notes, some were 35mm, some were 70mm, some were both.

Dick Tracy, Flatliners, Edward Scissorhands were released in CDS in 70mm only.
Days of Thunder, The Doors and Terminator 2 were released in CDS in both 35 and 70mm.
And the others were released in CDS in only 35mm.

As I remember it, Dick Tracy, the 1st CDS film, sounded harsh and brittle. Flatliners, Edward Scissorhands and The Doors sounded really good (in 70mm), especially The Doors. But Dick Tracy played at the Loews 84th St 6 in NYC, which wasn't great, and I believe the other three all played at the Ziegfeld in New York, so that could explain some of the difference. Also Dick Tracy was the first CDS film, so they obviously had less experience mixing for digital at that point.

I can't remember if I saw Terminator 2 in a movie theatre. I didn't see the other films.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-13-2009 12:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CDS and SDDS have a lot in common: same recording camera, not reliable, not here and Howard Fleming. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-13-2009 12:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the CDS people went over to SDDS

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-13-2009 12:40 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the film "For the Boys" got a 70MM Dolby Stereo release in LA & NYC. Paramount withdrew the 70MM CDS prints and replaced them with 70MM Dolby prints. And from Mike's site "The Doors" (SR) and "Flatliners" (A) were 70MM Dolby Stereo playdates at the Ziegfeld in NYC.
Not every film was released in the CDS format from that list.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-13-2009 03:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dick tracey played toronto in 70mm mag with the stips applied over the cds track

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-13-2009 05:04 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin Brooks
As I remember it, Dick Tracy, the 1st CDS film, sounded harsh and brittle.
Everyone's mileage varies, but I saw Dick Tracy in 70mm CDS at the Edwards Big Newport, and it sounded awesome, not harsh at all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: