Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mag Penthouse Manufacturer - HELP! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mag Penthouse Manufacturer - HELP!
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-09-2009 03:37 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking around the picture warehouse and came across the below pic of a mag penthouse that Rick Fearns posted.

I could not find any contact info for Rick. So, can anyone clue me in as to the manufacturer and where I might obtain one or two of these hulks?

Thanks!

-

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 04:16 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,

The construction resembles a Simplex. I not sure about the pad rollers though.

Rick

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-09-2009 05:43 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, Rick. To me, it has no resemblance to any Simplex mag penthouse...

I have 2ea of the SH-1025's (pic below)....they are nothing like the pic in my above post.

STILL lookin'...

-

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 05:52 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, those look like Century or possibly Ampex penthouses....

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 06:36 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are Ampex heads. I found an old picture and verified it.

-

From the AFI Nitrate Fire pictures in the warehouse.
You can make out the word AMPEX on the door.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-09-2009 08:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! Ampex... great penthouse and you can use it to moor your boat when not running mag filum. Just be sure not to throw in on a coral reef... utter destruction will result!

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 10:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may well have one or two of these. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-10-2009 01:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...I like seeing them sitting on those DeVrys...quite interesting..

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-10-2009 02:00 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad Phil didn't need these back in '98, I threw two of them in the dumpster.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 02:51 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one that was given to me by another FT'er that I was going to mount on my DeVry but never got around to it. Do you want it, Phil?

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 04:03 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a pair of Motiograph AAA penthouses that came out of a drive in. The four heads are tied together for mono output. The penthouses are in otherwise great shape as I don't think they've ever been used. Does anyone know where I can find a pair of decent 4 tr. clusters to fit these beasts?
Bob

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 04:09 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, If memory serves the heads are tied together in the cluster. We were able to carefully chip out enough epoxy to get to the seperate heads. It worked fine.

Motiograph had one of the better mag penthouses. There should be some of these around for hardtop use.
Dick

Richard B. Perrine
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 09:39 PM      Profile for Richard B. Perrine   Email Richard B. Perrine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil.....I've got a pair of these....they're Ampex with good heads in them and riser blocks for Century.

If your still looking for them.....e-mail me.

Rich Perrine

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-10-2009 11:30 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ampex penthouses were some of the best. When Dolby was designing the first SR.D reader, I brought in one of each, RCA, Ampex, Motiograph, Simplex, etc. and the designers looked over all of them and even picked parts off them to build the first prototype penthouses.

The one feature of the Ampex that was cool back in the day, but deadly in today's booths was a gear on the back of the sprocket that stopped it when you opened the pad rollers so it would thread more easily, kind of like the Park position in your car's automatic transmission. Imagine starting the projector with the pad rollers open with Polyester film.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-11-2009 12:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert Throop
Does anyone know where I can find a pair of decent 4 tr. clusters to fit these beasts?

I have one AA penthouse reader complete. If interested, please PM, or email me on this.

thx-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: