Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » VKF vs. "Fox" sprockets for mag prints

Author Topic: VKF vs. "Fox" sprockets for mag prints
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-09-2009 03:21 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey yous hardware/film brains out there...

I have four 35mm projectors and they all have VKF sprockets. I'm looking to keep one or two of them thar machines for my home screening room and sell off the others.

My bottom-line question is: Will the VKF sprocket set work for 35mm 4-track mag prints or should I install my 2 sets of "Fox" sprockets?

If the Fox sprockets are required, would they be OK for non-mag "standard films or would I have to play the change-game for each type of print?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 03:29 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no actual experience here, so prefix all of the sentences with "in theory." [Smile]

The VKF (as opposed to VKF-2 or positrol) sprockets will fit into the Fox/CS perfs on unshrunken film, but if the film has shrunk significantly (and for anything with CS perfs this is likely) you'll probably shred some film. The CS sprockets will work fine on normal KS perf film with a little extra stress on the sprocket holes.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-09-2009 03:44 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Robert.

How can I tell if I have VKF vs. VKF-2/Positrol sprockets?

Thanks!

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 04:59 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Calipers? The Lavezzi site has excellent dimensioned drawings for their sprockets.

http://www.lavezzi.com/QA/LavSprocket.html

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 05:54 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil the positrol will have one tooth set visibly wider than the other, you don't need calipers to tell the difference.

I must respectfully disagree with Robert..the VKF's are LESS likely to damage shrunken film..I have some ancient mag stock (a test loop) where the LENGTH has shrunk, but it tracks just fine on VKF equipped machines.

In fact, in the literature lavezzi sent out when the VKF series was introduced, one of its selling points was better control and safer handling of shrunken or damaged film.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-09-2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should be no problem at all and the CS perfs are actually ALOT stronger then KS perfs are. So the use of VKF teeth on CS perfs is actually beneficial. For the sprockets to actually damage film the stock would have to be drastically shrunken and it would be shrunken to the point that it may not even wind on the taske up reel. I had a MAg/Optical print of Sand Pebbles once that was so badly shrunken that the filum wouldn't wind properly on the reel.. but on screen it played reasonably well using VKF's.

Mark

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 03:15 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, The VKF sprockets were designed to run mag film with no problems but I had some shrunken mag that would not run properly on X-L sprockets. I replaced all my VKF sprockets with new CS sprockets and have had no problems since.

We ran all film on CS sprockets for years in the theatres. If you have lots of shrunken film I would recommend changing sprockets,
Dick

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-10-2009 06:48 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard Phil has a lot of shrinkage... [Big Grin] [evil]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2009 06:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, Thats just from Phil swimming in the Ocean!

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2009 08:32 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run all of my mag prints on VKF sprockets and never had a problem. They're also quite gentle on shrunken KF/BH perfs, too.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-11-2009 11:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've definitely experienced some VKF sprockets not working with shrunk CS perf prints. Those clients of ours that run 4-track have CS sprockets too (now).

Steve

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-11-2009 02:00 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all for your comments.

quote: Steve Guttag
Those clients of ours that run 4-track have CS sprockets too (now).
Steve, do you mean they have the CS ones permanently installed (even when running non-mag films), or only install them when necessary for mag prints?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-11-2009 04:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are on all of the time.

Steve

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2009 04:45 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil

I run alot of nitrate have run much mag and vin/syn.And in all cases find that fox sprockets run the smoothest of all.

Stan

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: