Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Red LEDs

Author Topic: Red LEDs
Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 02:38 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

We are running a small film group that screens with 35mm portable equipment. Until now all has been fine using the conventional tungsten exciter lamp but several films that we would like to show over the coming year are only available with cyan tracks. A red LED reader is available from the manufacturer but at quite a hefty price! I realize these things aren't cheap but it seems to me that if i am only going to replace the light source and preserve the sound optics, it shouldn't be too expensive to make something myself? Is there a special type of red LED that is used in the new readers. I realize alignment is crucial and will need to address this issue as well. Any thoughts gratefully received!
Best wishes,
Jon

|  IP: Logged

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 02:58 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If cost and not wanting a full upgrade, give these Guys in Israel a call.

http://cinema.technologies.googlepages.com/endgame

For $150 for a LED Light and they can even manufacture a LED Base to order if they do not have a common one in stock.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 03:34 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the machien in question Jonathon?

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 04:35 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies, very helpful information. the projector is a Microcine Tau M35 [Smile] [Smile] http://www.microcine.net/imm/TAU_A.JPG

Elia Orselli
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 08:42 AM      Profile for Elia Orselli   Author's Homepage   Email Elia Orselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about laser readers? I don't like them, but they aren't too expensive. This is an exemple: Veronese Laser Reader

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Compared with the reverse scan system the red laser offer better performances....
Um....yeah.

And why do they call this thing a "reader"? It's just a light source. The original cell is the "reader" in this application.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-10-2009 02:03 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..And the laser specs only claim flat response to 10k....hardly good performance, I can get reverse scan LED's flat to 16k easily.

That 10k claim sounds like the laser is equivalent to a 1.0 or even 1.25mil slit lens!!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-10-2009 02:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To my knowledge there is no reverse scan reader for a microine so a laser or Jax light is the only option

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 05:09 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
..And the laser specs only claim flat response to 10k....hardly good performance, I can get reverse scan LED's flat to 16k easily.
Exactly what I was thinking! I sure hope that 10kHz is a typo; their site sure is full of them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: