Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Intermittent question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Intermittent question
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 02:11 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just a general curiosity... is it possible for image instability to come from a bad/worn/failing intermittent? I operated a few Kinoton FP20's that are now out of service that I never could seem to get a stable image from. None of the intermittents ultimately failed, and my knowledge is limited so perhaps there were more adjustments to be done..

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 02:31 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is possible, but with FP-20's the most likely causes of image problems are worn nylon skates/runners (Gate and trap rails, respectively); insufficient skate tension; skate height incorrect.

The intermittents on Norelco/kinotons are pretty durable. If it is either knocking or making a noise like gravel rolling around with no film, it is bad.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 10:13 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional answer! (look at header.) Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-09-2009 10:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably had bad framing couplings in them! They still suffer from that same problem today.

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 10:35 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, that was really bad. [Smile]

Mark: You're right, I had forgotten about that possibility. I guess I'm spoiled with my FP38's which barely have 400 hours each on them. [Smile]

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2009 06:08 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how do i check to see if the framing couplings are good?(keeping in mind these machines are not connected to power) If they are bad, how expensive/difficult are they to repair? I may be recommending these to be sold to a small, indepentent art-house, so I'm wondering how good of an option they are...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2009 07:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the FP20 design is extremely gentle on film it is ideal for rep/art houses that get damaged prints
you may be able to feel play in the shaft by rocking the sprocket
also check for endplay
but you really need to set them up and run them

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-12-2009 10:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Gord... I've seen scotch taped film go through just like it was a regular splice... The DP-70 can also do that.

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-13-2009 01:29 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second both Gordon and Mark,, I just had a print with several FEET of severe damage pass thru my FP-38 tonight, it made a lot of noise but the picture was surprisingly steady, though the focus went crazy form the wrinkled mylar..

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-13-2009 09:09 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the DP75 wins for handling shrunken film hands down that odd multi curved gate forces almost anything to lie flat
on a side note my Motiograph AAA machines can run almost anything thrown at them even nitrate so shrunk the perfs are visable on the screen [Smile]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 02-15-2009 02:33 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget my beloved Century DAW's. I saw these run an acetate print of "Flesh Gordon" with one set of legs stripped. It jumped a bit and both the Chief Projectionist and myself both had near heart attacks, but it went through for 7 shows that week.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2009 02:37 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Parfrey
set of legs stripped
What is a stripped leg?

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2009 02:43 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eric.
My Chief used to refer a set of perforations that are torn the entire length of a spool as "a stripped leg". It just kinda stuck.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-16-2009 10:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and if you can run a reel with one side all stripped out and keep the show on the screen for the duration of the run, you definitely consider yourself "the Projectionist."

That was one small problem with IB prints when they get some age on them: film stock becomes brittle with age and the sprocketholes are the first to expose the brittleness of the film.

Been there and done that with all off the "kiddie mats" that I ran...and some of the prints that arrived at our theatre.. [Roll Eyes]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2009 02:30 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Monte.

How true that is. This was in the days of switching a single print between two theatres, where the first 6000' spool would screen as the first show and as soon as it finished, a car-hop would throw it in the back of his car and motor to the other theatre where it would screen as soon as it arrived. This usually happened to both prints of the double feature. I cant say the print left our drive-in in any better condition than when it arrived but we never had a film-break. I am still amazed at how the Century's passed that print. Ahhhh for the days of (old, brittle) acetate! Dave Miller was my Chief that year.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: