Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need help with a Victoria 4.

Author Topic: Need help with a Victoria 4.
Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, our theater has two Vic 4's and both leak badly. The intermittent housing is leaking and needs a refill every few days.

Our technician has never opened the intermittent housing, so is reluctant to do so, until we can find out if the cases are opened, will springs and demons jump out.

Has anyone here changed the gaskets on the Victoria IV intermittent housing.

thanks in advance

louis

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2009 09:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves the oil seel on the v 4 was a bronze bushing and as such once worn that is that unlike the vic5 which has a rubber seal
I don't know if the vic 5 seal would physically fit if one attempted to retrofit it
that said the vic 4 movement is filled with only a little oil at a time from the oil pump that like on a e7 is supposed to be pumped every two hours of operation

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-31-2009 08:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every VIC 4 I've ever seen leaks somewhat... Even ones I serviced 30 years back! I call it the X-L syndrome....

Mark

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2009 09:14 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my theatres had a pair of Vic 4's. I could never figure out how to stop the leaks. These Vic's sat on custom open frame bases so I was able to keep a oil pad under each machine. Good luck.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2009 01:35 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my many years of experience using Vic 4's I agree they do leak oil. However I was able to reduce this to a mere annoyance rather than an issue.

Internally the oil leaking out of the intermittent is not a big issue. If your projectionists are used to pumping oil every time they touch the projector then it's not an issue. That is INTERNALLY.
However oil leaking externally is in my experience usually from the back door. I got over this by using a very liberal amount of orange gasket sealant.

Yes there was still some oil leakage but it was reduced to the level of many projectors of that age. I found a large plastic oblong plate was sufficient to catch the oil and keep the area clean.

'IF' the oil is leaking from the pump itself then it's a matter of 'Pumping' and 'Wiping' the pump clean.

I would not lose much sleep over having to run any booth with Vic 4's. They run and run and require very little maintenance. The biggest concern I have had in the past is the very fast start up speed of an original Vic 4. This needs to be addressed with an invertor to give the projector a nice easy start up. This not only prolongs the lift of the gear train but if running Tower's reduces the risk of damage to the print.

Regards.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2009 02:50 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys for the info.

ken, we do pump each start and you are right, they do start with a vengeance. Our only saving grace on the rapid start is that the two vics are at the end of the booth where it is not heated. this time of the year, they start normally because they are cold. i have the exhaust vents off to pump the heat into the booth.

our door seals were replaced not too long ago and yes some oil is coming from the door. i will have to figure something out.however the main problem is still with us, the intermittent housing drains completely every few days.

thanks,

louis

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2009 03:33 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just did a V-4 intermittent rebuild recently and yes, they do take the same oil seal on the film side as a V-5. But perhaps there are some variations that I'm not aware of. The seal is a 10x22x7. The are a few places in the gear compartment side where the intermittent can leak. I will go over these. The intermittent rear cover, made of aluminum, has a gasket between it and the main intermittent body. Do not even attempt to replace this gasket unless you feel very confident about what you are doing! There are 5 case cover screws to remove in order to replace it. You run the risk of binding up the cam shaft when you put the cover back on, that's why I suggest you leave it alone. It is the same gasket that's on the V-5. Part # E177. That Aluminum cover has a few potential leak points. Near the top of the cover there is a steel plug with a slot cut all the way through it, It's there for adjusting the cam shaft eccentric pin. You will need a large slotted screwdriver to remove it, there is a gasket under the plug that you can replace. Part number is 0249. The oil Level window is a VERY likely leak point. I recommend ordering a replacement window. Part number is 0033. Below the oil window there is an oil drain plug that is also likely to leak.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-02-2009 07:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the oil is supposed to leak out on the operator side back into the gear compartment to maintain the level of the mark when pumped

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2009 08:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

Is it even worth rebuilding a Vic-4 movement these days, especially at the high price of their parts??? A whole projector can often be had for about $50.00 USD.

Mark

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2009 02:21 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I can't help but agree with you. But I do what my customers ask of me [Smile]

If the star and cam are good, then it can be an affordable rebuild. Otherwise, it's an expensive pain in the ass!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: