Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Movie - "Taken" advertises English sub-titles

Author Topic: Movie - "Taken" advertises English sub-titles
Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 09:40 AM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print of Taken is marked as having English sub-titles. I, being a bit confused, called the studio for an explanation, thinking we had a foreign dialog on the film. The young lass that I spoke with said that it was for security purposes, in fact there were no sub-titles on the film.

Asked her how this would prevent piracy, she did not know, neither do I.

Maybe one of you guru's would explain [Smile]

louis

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-30-2009 10:18 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems more likely that the person you spoke with was confused and this was a lab error (at least, that'd be my guess).

What's the exact marking on the print?

(I'm also curious, who did you call? DFS/ETS? Your Fox booker? Fox in-theatre marketing?)

Taken is weird since it was released internationally first.
But I'm sure it was printed domestically for the 3,000 theatres showing it (~3,500 prints?).

--jhawk

edit: print count changed from 5k to 3.5k.

[ 01-30-2009, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: John Hawkinson ]

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 11:20 AM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film is in English, with the foreign language (mostly Albanian) dialog in English Subtitles. I suspect that the French version would have the Albanian portions with French subtitles.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 12:41 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,
I called the Fox marketing.

The exact wording on the film lead,is for example on tail #5:

ENGLISH T-5 T A K E N ENGLISH
SUBTITLES..................SUBTITLED

ENGLISH TITLED ENGLISH TITLED

Louis

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-30-2009 01:06 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This threw me as well. I wondered if I had an open caption print. But after watching it last night, I can safely say it just means the subtitles are in English when someone is speaking something other than English.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 09:01 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that what I said? Are my posts invisible?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-31-2009 06:46 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone notice how Blaine never posts anymore?

Odd... [Frown]

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2009 11:46 AM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked you, John. [beer]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-31-2009 01:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..Latter towards the movie, there are subtitles - found this out the hard way.

The previous operator had the framing down too low and cutting off some of the wording, and where this one theatre have wrong size focal prime lenses installed (too short) the aperture plate is almost an undercut aperture where there is a lot of frame knob roll before the frameline itself can be visible. The whole place is like this - too short of prime lens on the anamorphics.

Thus, I have to leave a note to "frame high" so the subtitles aren't cut off.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: