Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » E53 Lamphoue Mirror

Author Topic: E53 Lamphoue Mirror
Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2009 01:55 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bee advised recently that the only manufacturer of the E53 mirror is ceasing production. Probably because it's such a small run it's no longer a profitable line.

This mirror is used in a number of lamp house type notaby the Peerless Magnarc Conversion favoured by ABC/EMI cinemas when the rush of conversions started.

However, just because it's an older lamphouse does not mean it's no longer viable to use on smaller screen sizes. The majority of these lamp houses are used by independents so the potential cost of having o replace complete lamp houses is a real concern.

Does anyone else know of this happening and is there another supplier available.

Regards.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-24-2009 04:54 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken: it may well be that the Kneisley reflector for the Xenex One is about the same. I seem to recall that the O.D. is the same as the Magnarc. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2009 05:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the esteemed Mr Bentley was responsible for that mirror
A knisely will work but you will probably need a different bushing kit and refocus the working distance
The GK President kit was a kniesley

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2009 05:50 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for your reply.

The Berbard Bently conversions I've seen used a FLAT type of mirror that fitted directly into the original Peerless mirror mounts. These gave a very flat light but not very efficient as I recall. The E53 however is of a much smaller diameter, and very deep, and uses spacing arms to centre it in the mounting. The mounting is is also on extender arms as the focal length is 26".... not too sure what the original Peerless focal length was.

One of the things I hated about this conversion was that as the mirror was on extender arms, as you moved the mirror left and right, instead of pivoting it actually swung left or right. The same was true of the up and down movement.

But for all it's faults it was, and still is, a very popular lamp house. The other lamp houses to use this mirror are the AEI and BTH conversions. These however did not suffer from the above niggles as the mirror mount was pivoted in both planes so the lamp remained cantered in relation to the mirror.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2009 08:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that mirror sounds a lot like the kit that went into morganites as well
I have a hunch that the mirror that is sold in the retrofit kit from germany )i believe it might be hasso) made a kit that looks like the same mirror

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2009 07:30 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the conversion I'm talking about. Morganite did them all for EMI.

I'll do a search on the name you suggest and see what I can come up with.

Thanks.

Regards

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2009 02:14 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Yes, the E53 is no longer available, we did have some in stick but I think they may have gone now.

We've done a fair number of Magnarcs and AEI, converting them to use a metal mirror of long standing and well respected design. Light output is excellent and there's no problem supporting it.

One other thing to consider with these old lamphouse is that they often contained Asbestos insulation and Asbestos covered cables, which may or may not have been removed when converted to Xenon. If it hasn't been removed it should be, and the cost of doing that and disposing of it quickly racks up to the cost of a Super LumeX.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2009 02:37 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of the lamp houses I've worked with have any of the original wiring in them.

I know of a couple of mirrors lying spare but that's all. You may well have a bit of business selling metal mirrors.

The lamp houses are fine within their limitations and will still be running in years to come. But as I've been reading in other posts, Strong not supporting some equipment, it's a sign of the times that manufacturers seem to be taking the point of view that their is nothing to be earned from supporting what is considered 'old' equipment. The computer term for it would be 'legacy' equipment. The arrival of digital has rendered all 'film' projection equipment as 'Legacy' and redundant.

There is one good thing that is happening and it's that the independent operators are expanding and upgrading their equipment taking advantage of what is coming on to the market right now. So it's not all bad news!.... or is it?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2009 12:55 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the words of the motto of the Royal Observer Corps, Forewarned is Forearmed.

I've a few of sites who have E53 mirrors, I've explained the situation, and their options, and they do NOTHING. Many people seem to think that when the mirror breaks on a Friday night with a full house, I'll be able to pop in and replace it with a new type in 5 minutes. No.
Or I'll be able to pop in and change the lamphouse, again. No.

Or they could just bury their heads in the sand and hope these mirrors will start to clone themselves.

Up here the indies aren't doing anything kit wise, there were grants available to some but few seemed interested in free money [Roll Eyes]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-27-2009 01:30 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete: sounds familiar! Also most places are having a hard time finding a nearby technician. As this becomes more common, it may well be impossible to get the parts and the technician at the same time! Technician will naturally favor those places for which parts can be easily located.Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-27-2009 01:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what are the specs for that reflector optiform may even have a similar metal one in there stock designs

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2009 03:10 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember I'll measure one up next time I happen upon said beast.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-27-2009 08:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tow diameters are important the outside flange and the hole but the two focus points are even a more critical point

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-14-2009 09:29 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would one of these fit
http://www.weule-goslar.de/glashohlspiegel/index.htm

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2009 10:52 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it, those are the mirros used by Kinoton and Ernemann, without measurements, going by my ailing memory, they are much deeper than the E53.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: