Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kelmar 5/16" and 1/2" Series 7000 Reel Arms

Author Topic: Kelmar 5/16" and 1/2" Series 7000 Reel Arms
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-23-2009 04:12 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there such an animal as a Kelmar series 7000 35mm only reel arm set that has interchangeable bolt-on adaptors for 5/16" and 1/2" spindle reels?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-23-2009 04:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of....

They don't offer it in their catalog the way you want it but I'm sure you can get it the way you want (or even convert an existing reel arm to the way you want).

For simplicity in explaining here...what you want is an RSA-7000-5 (or 6) but omit the 720315 (70mm shafts), add back in 720314 5/16" shafts and 720317 1/2" shafts (these both are held on by screws so they are interchangable). You also want the guide rollers changed from 35/70s to 35mm onlys so again omit the 720576 rollers and add back in the 720336 35mm bypass rollers.

If you are adapting existing arms...to use the spindles listed above...you need the 720393-1 shaft for the upper arms and the 720393-2 for the lower arms.

If you are getting them new...then I suggest contacting your dealer...I'm sure Kelmar will come up with a price with it all set up as you want.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-23-2009 10:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked the simplex strong arms with the changeable spindle ends

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-24-2009 07:40 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Kelmar fan myself: SOLID! I may well have the 70mm arms in stock, used. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2009 08:48 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelmar for some reason is the only brand that I constantly have broken ends of the 5/16" spindles
Never had a Cinemecanica or Strong or even a TECO reported busted
For large reels I usually insist on 1/2" spindles anyway

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-24-2009 01:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually prefer the Ballantyne/Strong arms over the Kelmars...they are MUCH more solid than the Kelmars (spindles, arms...you name it).

Kelmar does make a very cost-effective arm though. If one wants an arm that will mostly hold a platter roller but want reel capability, then Kelmar is the way to go...for regular reel-to-reel operation, the Strongs are going to do a better job.

Steve

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 11-04-2011 03:17 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1013 days since the last post.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2011 03:17 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have a Kelmar 720315 70mm spindle? (for a 7000 arm)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: