Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Gran Torino sound (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Gran Torino sound
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-22-2009 01:27 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious if anyone else noticed problems with the sound in Gran Torino. In some scenes it seemed like it was center channel only and kind of muted. I didn't think it was a huge deal, but we have had a couple seniors comment about it.

I'm starting to wonder if we have a bad reel or DTS disk.

|  IP: Logged

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 02:51 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had reports of soft audio in both the DTS and Dolby houses. We're just setting the fader a bit higher.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 02:52 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing here in a Dolby house.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 10:55 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had complaints of soft audio in our DTS house and discovered that it was periodically dropping in to analogue. Reset (Dolby) levels on the analogue and had no further complaints. It has since been moved to a SRD house due to needing more seats (been selling out several shows) and haven't had any complaints thus far.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2009 04:14 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been having problems with the DTS on this also. Keeps dropping back to SR.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2009 09:35 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had any tech issues with the DTS or Dolby track itself, but it does seem that overall, the sound track was mixed at a slightly lower level than normal.

I'm having to turn my fader up about about 1-2points higher to get a "normal" level of volume in the auditorium, especially in a full house or I get complaints of "low sound".

I've watched the film several times now and other than the slightly "soft" audio level, I haven't noticed anything unusual about the mix itself.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-24-2009 11:32 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember years ago you would see instructions printed in multiple frames of the Academy leader: "Projectionist - set fader level 3 points higher than normal for this theatre"? I guess this title could benefit from same.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-24-2009 11:36 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except it only happens in some scenes, not the whole movie so raising the volume could screw things up for the whole movie to make a couple scenes sound levels up to normal.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2009 01:38 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Took my wife to see it in our biggest house (with DTS). We both noticed low sound at several points.

Agree Chris. Kicking it up would not have done any good.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2009 10:16 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
raising the volume could screw things up for the whole movie to make a couple scenes sound levels up to normal.

Normally, I would agree. I like to think that people who get paid a lot of money to do the sound mixes know what they're doing and have thought extensively about the way the final product sounds.

But for whatever reason, the end result just didn't work in our case for this film. So we raised the level and left it up.

Before we did this we got several "low sound complaints" a day.

We haven't gotten ONE complaint since we made the decision to raise the volume on the 2nd day after the movie opened.

I guess it's all in finding a 'happy medium' level.

Before we rasied the level, even my boss grabbed a set of booth keys and went in to raise the volume when he sat down to watch the movie with his family.

(I was busy at another theater down the street)

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 10:35 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it at the Regal-UA Union Square 14 in Manhattan and the sound was absolutely fine. Picture was a bit dim though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-29-2009 01:08 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should look at a particular sound format to be the culprit. For example, I watched this in SRD and the sound was well mixed throughout the entire film. Could this be a dts or an sdds track problem?

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 01:16 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, we ran it in SRD, and got quite a few complaints about quiet dialogue when it was run at our usual level.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-30-2009 02:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you by chance not altering the volume between trailers and feature? If so, then that's your problem. Trailers are recorded too loud and if the fader is adjusted for the trailers, the feature will be too low and dialog will be lost.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 02:45 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are not adjusting the volume. I'd love for our automation to be set up to do that, but I don't have the know-how to make that happen.

However, we generally do just run the trailers "too loud," and have the fader set for the level of the actual feature, and we still had to run this one higher.

We normally run SRD features at -5.0dB, this one we ran at -3.0dB. We also have DTS in that house... it's continuing to play there this next week, I should try running it in DTS to see if I notice a difference. (We don't have a standard setup, the sound systems for our two largest screens are controlled through touch screens. So, you really have nothing to base those volume levels off of, but they're just to give you an idea.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: