Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DIY Cinema processor

Author Topic: DIY Cinema processor
Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2009 10:21 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone ever attempted to make himself a Cinema Audio Processor?

The first theater I worked, someone made a CP from scratch. With SR decoding, subwoofer and surround outputs.
I never asked where he had gotten the schematics, so I'm asking you.
Did you make a CP and where did you get the schematics?

[ 01-21-2009, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Bastiaan Fleerkate ]

|  IP: Logged

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2009 10:40 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did made plenty of processors if we can call it processor [Wink]

In fact they are normally stereo with full automated non-sync/film and changeover automation for two projector, HF eq, gain and so....I have 60dB signal to noise ratio when playing on projector optical sound so and it's sound great, even better than dolby CP50/100/200 preamps for sure. I didn't took diagrams or schematic from nowhere because some many solutions what I did get too see were bad on mine opinion, so I did desinged my own preamp. I did made some variations for budget places, like one small preamp with options for two projector mono, or one projector stereo.....and similar solutions like that.

Another solution were that preamps with automation and in combination with DOLBY SR cards (CAT280's) which did sounded great, and even with some dolby pro logic decoder attached to it.

If you need any more information or so write here or on mail (PM)...

This is pic of one unit:
 -

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-21-2009 12:23 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once made a tube-type CP-200 (You should have seen the SR chassis). It was not practical due to size and amount of electricity used. Louis

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2009 01:23 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, my keyboard is wet and it's your fault. [Smile]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-21-2009 09:39 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ ROFL!

I used to do poor mans surround by strapping the surround speakers across the left and right speaker terminals.

JJ

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2009 04:31 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May not have been practical Lois, but I'm sure it was fun to tinker with. [thumbsup] There was a project for my Digital circuits class, where we were required to design the various digital logic gates, from other components (or without ICs). Plus it had to be TTL compatible, so had to be able to reliably process 5v inputs, and output in 5v, and not damage the circuits leading to the input, or the output. Internally, it could do whatever. Everyone did theirs with various transistors. I used vacuum tubes. It was fun, and unique. And much larger than everyone else's labs by far. But ever since, I've been craving another tube project.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-03-2009 08:53 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was only kidding! Louis

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2009 09:09 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, never know. Alot of reto-tech hobbyists out there. People make tube amps synths and the like all of the time. I'd love to see someone make a cinema processor out of tubes, but I'm sure it'd be quite large, and extensive. Moresoe than a simple logic gate. Well, that wasn't so simple with tubes. LoL

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: