Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platter payout disk jambing

Author Topic: Platter payout disk jambing
Rick Deleau
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2009 09:52 PM      Profile for Rick Deleau   Email Rick Deleau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
payout platter nightmare:

I've had this happen to me a couple times, the payout micro switch on my platter fails to disengage (i think) which results in the film to wind tightly in reverse around the disk. which eventually causes the film to seize up and stop paying out, this shuts down the system. (no motion fail safe) Leaving me with a holy shit mess.

Ps. I added a little spring between the micro swithch housing and the brass arm to help the micro switch pop back to the off position, but even this seems not to be enough.

any help

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2009 10:52 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What make and model of platters do you have?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2009 11:41 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Potts or Strong, Damn American made stuff.....Throw it away, I'll sell you a good Chinese made platter. Better yet, I think you could trade it with a theater in Texas.

Seriously though, are the control plates removable? Have you replaced the microswitch? More info please [Wink]

Rick

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2009 12:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that theatre would Gladly Trade!!! [Big Grin] [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Sounds like the same strong problem I was having and I found some switches online for 5.91 If you want the link send me a message and let me know.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-21-2009 01:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Deleau
film to wind tightly in reverse around the disk
Replace the microswitch on the Brain..(if it's a Strong/Potts unit).

the contacts inside the switch have arced themselves closed and keeping the brain on all the time.

If you got a Grainger in your area, go buy some 6X284 microswitches that'll get you back on track.

Strongs aint that all bad - take care of them and they'll take care of you.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-21-2009 09:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

You're using the wrong microswitch!!! The one you're using tales twice the amount of force to actrivate as it should be....

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-21-2009 01:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you take the little tension spring out-forgot to insert that in my above post about using these switches from Grainger.

Sorry Mark - gotta think economy mode in where I work at..

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-21-2009 07:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
gotta think economy mode in where I work at..

Actually the correct switch is a couple of dollars less from the appropriate electric supply.

Mark

Rick Deleau
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Rick Deleau   Email Rick Deleau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

thanks to all, very much appreciated.

what is the right micro switch?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-22-2009 02:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!!!!!!!!! This is the proper switch for use with Estar base filum.

Microswitch P/N BZ-2RW8435-A2, And ya don't have to remove any spring cause there aint none.....

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-22-2009 02:39 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Actually the correct switch is a couple of dollars less
False economy at work; "dropping dimes to pick up pennies."

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 05:20 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. Are you saying Mark is using the wrong switch and that cheaper ain't better, or are you agreeing with him?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-22-2009 05:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the switch we sell IS the correct switch according to Microswitch whom manufactures the switch. If Tim is sure it's the wrong switch I suggest he call the staff at Microswitch and explain to them which switch IS the right switch. There ARE similar numbered switches, some cost more and some less but they all have the WRONG sized open gap in them and they will fail prematurely. Aside from having the correct amount spring load the gap size is the most important aspect in these switches.

At any rate the normal pricing on them is about 8 bucks in single quantity. We purchase them in hundred quantity so we get em cheaper! Pretty elementary really!

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-22-2009 05:57 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
Are you saying Mark is using the wrong switch
Sorry, I meant to say so many theatre owners try to find circuitous routes to save a couple of bucks, and end up paying way more in wrong parts, or screwing up their equipment more.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-22-2009 06:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly Tim! Thats why usually getting parts from a dealer that buys quantity can actually be a better deal... and you get the right part.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: