Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 3D Lense Kit

Author Topic: 3D Lense Kit
Troy Hilsman Powell
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2009 06:15 PM      Profile for Troy Hilsman Powell   Email Troy Hilsman Powell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found a paramount 3D lense kit complete.Does anybody know the retail value?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-19-2009 06:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those were recently available online for $75.00

Supposedly original cost to Paramount was $1,100.00

In today's economy don't expect to get anywhere near that...

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2009 05:58 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just be aware that because of the age of the Paramount 3D box, the filters are most likely no good. When those were made the very cheapest material was used and over time it looses it polarization ability. I had to purchase new filter material and construct a new filter card.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2009 06:04 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeap. $1-$2000 when new. Never over $300 today.

Filters should be replaced.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2009 09:56 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a complete, mint condition Paramount 3D lens kit from THE SURPLUS SHED last year for only US$75.00.

It almost looks like it had never been used.
Most of the componants, including the instruction manual, mounting screws & aperture plate, were still in small, sealed plastic bags and there are no scratches or marks on any of the mounting brackets or the 3D Mirror-Box that would indicate that they'd ever seen service.

I just checked their website (www.surplusshed.com) and I guess they are sold out since they no longer have complete kits listed, although they do have some parts & lens brackets.

Despite its' age, mine works fine, although I'm not using it
commercially and on a screen that's only about 20ft wide.

The 3D kit came with several sets of filters, all of which work OK for me. Mabye I got lucky. I've found other 3D filters in old theaters, etc that have seriously deteriorated with age, especially gelatin filters which seem to attract mold, rodents and small bugs. Ugh!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-21-2009 11:52 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We bought 3 of the Surplus Shed boxes @ $75. Due to space problems they couldn't be mounted as the instructions said, we had to make some crude but effective mounts. Depending on the format of the film, our mounts attach the boxes to the wall either vertically or horizontally. All the filters are in excellent condition. We've used them 4 times.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: