Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » THX R2 analyzer

Author Topic: THX R2 analyzer
Alexander Alves
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2009 05:06 AM      Profile for Alexander Alves   Email Alexander Alves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a THX R2 analyzer which needs repairs. Can anyone give me contact details of the manufacturer?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-19-2009 06:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The R2 was made by multiple manufacturers...the most popular being Anchor Audio (www.anchoraudio.com). However, that was an OEM job for THX.

My suggestion is to contact THX (www.thx.com) regarding repairs on the unit. They have complete control over the R2 and the THX-D1138.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2009 09:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case you don't get an answer from THX which seems to be the norm lately try contacting AcoustX. The company is run by Tim Holmes who actually designed the R-2 and the D-2. Tim has told me he can also repair R-2's to some extent but that some of the semiconductors are now obsolete. He can also calibrate them. I'd personally be far more inclined to have Tim service mine than some technician at THX whom I don't know.

AcoustX Contact Info

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-19-2009 03:17 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Tim is servicing them...then yes, by all means, send it to him!

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2009 05:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim can do some repairs on them. If the unit in question needs certain semi's then THX repair may be the only out. Tim can very definately replace and calibrate mics, and or repair some of the circuitry. To be honest... repairing them is easy... but you definately need Tim or THX to do the calibration. My R-2 has only ever suffered a blown mic preamp chip and worn plastic Amphenol connectors over its approximately 15 year life. It's still a great piece of equipment!!

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's still a great piece of equipment!!
Must be digital [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2009 07:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
Must be digital
HA! It is after a point...

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-19-2009 08:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim has always done our calibrations. We have had a bad multiplexer, that is about it and that was early on. THX replaced it. The only thing we've had go wrong with the unit itself was a loose transformer...tightened it up and that is it.

The R2 is great...the software being in DOS has been both a plus (runs fast) and a minus (not friendly in today's world so printing and such is more difficult...I either cut-n-paste via Virtual PC or import the files into a spreadsheet for documentation (which is what THX ended up doing as well).

The D2 is proving to be nice as well and certainly lighter/smaller. Now if Tim could get the number of projectors up to 4 (at least two would be nice) and reinstate the magnetic tests for the CCT...it would be more handy for me on my THX houses as more than one of my THX recerts are in screens with multiple projectors on each screen and I still have two 70mm magnetic THX houses.

Steve

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-06-2009 12:26 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent my wishes to Tim too for my D2, he's very available and kind. Hope to see many new releases of WinRTA in the next future!

Marco

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-24-2010 01:37 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 472 days since the last post.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2010 01:37 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread.

I just picked up an R2 and am waiting for delivery. It is missing the software, does anyone here have a spare copy of the software?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Poulain
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2010 03:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Poulain   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Poulain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to email me at apoulain@thx.com and I'll be happy to get you the software. The program can only be launched using a proper DOS operating system. Virtual PC and a DOS OS is a functional option if you have a modern PC and Windows OS.

A few other items to note: You may experience communication issues with the hardware if you are using a USB:RS232 adapter (assuming the computer does not have a dedicated serial port). I recommend that you use a PCMCIA:RS232 adapter.

There is a small label around the mini XLR with a three digit batch number. I'll need this number in order to get you the microphone adjustment files.

Best,

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-25-2010 09:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also note, Tim Holmes of Acoustx will calibrate R2 mics as well as D2 mics too.

Steve

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-25-2010 09:39 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there two versions of the R2 software; the 'standard' and the 'THX installer-approved' versions?

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-26-2010 06:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The chief difference is that the recertification version has the "THX" button that sets up a complete test of all the parameters that THX wants measured. In that mode it also had an export button to make a nice compact exportable file. Remember, when this came out...most email was via dial-up or, more often than not, one merely sent THX a 3.5" floppy.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: