Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Prevost P55 trouble

Author Topic: Prevost P55 trouble
Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 03:37 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings,

I'm having trouble with a prevost p55. The oil pump isn't circulating oil so everything is running dry. Because of how the projector is assembled it's hard to get at the pump and I'm not even sure how to get it out to see if it can be fixed.

Any thoughts or ideas anyone has on this would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-13-2009 07:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the filter screen or intake plugged up??? This may likely your problem. I can't tell from the drawings if it's a gear type or piston type pump. After disconnecting the oil lines try blowing some light compressed air back through and see if they open up. Also, perhaps one of our European Film-Techers can shed some light on the intake end of the pump or lines....

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did move air through it, so it isn't blocked. It is awkward to get at the pump, but i'd imagine it would be a gear driven style. This projector has gone a few years without being used at all, would it be possible that after sitting for a few years part of the pump could have seized and snapped when the motor was turned back on?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-13-2009 08:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
regrettably one needs to remove the pump and test it
been there and done it several times on prevosts that had sat unused for long periods of times

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 08:57 AM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have the problem that I can't figure out how to get it out. The shaft the pump is on seems to be the busiest component of the projector head. If I get the pump out is it likely dead and non serviceable anyways?

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2009 09:02 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... If we can't fix the pump, we could always go digital?!?!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-16-2009 08:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take the pump out clean it and if necassary take it to a machine shop they are a very simple design
The P55 have proven over the years to be a very robust and reliable machine

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2009 11:34 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SOLVED!!
Everyone should have this complex tool handy for repairs!

-

In the picture I was just trying to get everything oiled up to hopefully get thru a show. While doing this I said to myself "why not try putting oil in from the top to see if it settles into the pump" Eurika!! Could be a handy trick for anyone encountering a similar problem.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: