Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Take-Up on SPECO's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Take-Up on SPECO's
Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having an issue with take-up on my SPECO LP-270. No matter which platter, the film winds up incredibly loose, throughout the entire print. Payout is fine on all platters and the accumulator is sliding up and down the shafts normally. It's so bad I wouldn't even dream of trying to move the print.

-A stuck youngin

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-12-2009 10:17 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While you don't want to move the print, playing a different print in the auditorium and seeing if it also has the loose wind would rule out (or confirm) the loose wind being due to damage to the print.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2009 10:26 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm thinking about doing that. There is another projector only about 2 feet away. I can reach both start buttons. Sure makes those doubles easier.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-12-2009 10:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Grand Prairie...SPECO LP-270...you must work at the superstitious Cinemark on I-20!

Those models you have had an "upgrade" that I suggested back in the 80s, but was poorly designed by one of the corporate guys at Cinemark and the end result pretty much just sucks. You can make them wind tighter by skipping the middle of the top 3 rollers on the takeup. I don't recommend it as normal daily practice though, as that makes it wind VERY tight.

If it is just one platter in the building, then it is probably just needing oil on the rod and the twisted rod.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2009 11:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Brad, you're freaking me out. The "W" system you're referring to only exists on 4 of our projectors, and not this one. We always skip the middle one before moving a print on those platters, as they will wrap tighter. On a side note, how are we superstitious? I've only been at this location since 04 and only in booth since 07, so I don't know much of the history at this place.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 03:03 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan,
Is the platter starting up slow enough to sometimes trigger the failsafe to shut the projector down?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-13-2009 04:25 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah I forgot about that...you have the old style LP-270s in #1-12 and the new style in #14-16 on that little wing extension.

Since this is an older one, either the vertical shaft or the twisted shaft is bent, or more probably you need to squirt some oil on a few paper towels and wipe the two shafts down so the weight can move easier. Your Simplex oil should do the trick.

And the superstitious comment was because that was the first theater with more than 12 screens where Cinemark didn't build an auditorium #13. [Razz]

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 02:22 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew the #13 story. We now have 1-15, no #16 (even though its called Movies 16), with 2-4 being in the new wing. And James, no it never starts slow enough to drop film presence.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-13-2009 04:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, your #13 used to be #14. They skipped right over it! They rationalized that since in a 15 plex there would always be at least one screen doubling up two movies, that they could call it "Movies 16". Pretty funny.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 04:24 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well right now we do have our #13 doubled up, but we have 4 films with second copies, so 12 movies, 16 prints. Doubling up isn't that common, maybe a third of the time we have a double house.

Back to the issue

I moved the problematic print to another projector (with a "W" take-up system, without skipping any rollers) and it still wound very loose. The 2nd run is about to start, with the middle roller bypassed. The new print on the possibly problematic projector just started for the first time today. Looks to me so far it may be a damaged print.

Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 04:24 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When this happened to me I was in utter confusion. Ended up being film damage caused by a bent sprocket tooth. Run your finger over the sprocket holes on both sides of the film. If they feel bumpy this is likely the case. If they feel flat and normal (compare to another print well beats me.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 04:48 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Ryan. Both sets of sprocket holes are slightly raised. Just enough to feel, but not enough to see. We had a similar problem on another projector about a year and a half ago, just to a more extreme level and it turned out to be a bent shaft on the soundhead sprocket. Now I have to hope 1 run isn't enough to screw up another print.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 04:55 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Legend has it one of the managers at Grand Prairie named one of the closets "Auditorium 16."

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 05:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, how do y'all know more about this place than I do? Auditorium 16 is where managers are if they take a smoke break and some others refer to our satellite restrooms as #16. Makes for good fun to have the noobs go clean #16 or to tell the drunks/potheads that their film is in 16.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-13-2009 06:24 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go way out on a limb and guess that he helped set up the booth equipment there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: