Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm projection staffing when introduced (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 70mm projection staffing when introduced
Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2009 04:36 PM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When 70mm was introduced here in the 1950s a dispute arose as to whether there should be one or two projectionists screening it. Naturally, this was in the days of change-overs and large reels. I personally worked under both systems in the sixties and seventies.

I would really appreciate it if those who remember those days, could let me know what the policy was in your part of the world. I am particularly interested in locations where 20th Century Fox had an interest, but all situations of that period of the late fifties, sixties and seventies would be very helpful.

I am also very interested to know if more than one projectionist was required, what the reason was at that time.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-10-2009 05:13 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only speak of the early to mid 80's but in two areas (Tucson. Az and Los Angeles) common pratcice I'd run into was one man (Tucson was a twin, common booth, one man for both) and L.A. most were platter houses and one man fro up to eight screens (usually only one or two screens in a complex were running 70mm) and AVCO Westwood (which was a tri-plex) had one man for all three rooms. Setup was one upstairs booth and two downstairs booths. The AVCO had two projectors in each booth, and I'm reasonably sure that the downstairs booths (which were tight) were large reel changeovers (automated) and IIRC the main booth had a platter.

Syufy (nee Century) Cinedomes in Orange had Norelco platters and Century JJ projectors, all run by two guys for six screens, three(?) separate booths.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-10-2009 06:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was pretty much standard policy that for 70mm runs, during 50s into the 70s around the Washington DC area that there would be 2 projectionists.

I'm guessing the theory was that the 70mm shows were events and the second operator would ensure greater success, including if there was a problem...one could fix the problem while the other could tend to the show.

The only time I've been part of a dual-projectionist (or more on one screen) event was for special screenings where the studio was footing the bill.

Steve

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-10-2009 06:47 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, back in the nitrate days, the reason they wanted an operator for each machine was so there'd always be a man stationed beside the projector, who could quickly shut it down in case of a film break. That was the reason the union gave, at least. Maybe the 70mm practice was some kind of holdover?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-10-2009 08:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often the big downtown houses had two operators per shift and they were often the first 70mm houses so that continued
In Ontario it was the early 80's when they dropped the two person requirement

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-10-2009 08:47 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinerama Dome here used two operators whenever 70mm was being run, at least up until the early '70's. The last 70mm I saw there was a re-release of 2001: A Space Odyssey in the mid-'70's. By then only one operator was being used.

Sin City didn't get 70mm-capable houses until fairly late in the game - 1965 or so. That's when both the Cinerama and the Fox Charleston Plaza Mall opened. The Sunset Drive-In was also 70mm-capable, but I don't know when it became so. As far as I know, the Cinerama was the only screen in town that ran any 70mm at all during the two-operator era.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-10-2009 09:39 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louisville, KY: certainly in the 1970 onward time frame, there was no difference in booth manning for 70mm, even for automated changeover operations versus 35mm. Especially in the platter era that was true since you only threaded once, just like 35mm.

BTW: film damage was REDUCED once 70mm had platters! Louis

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2009 03:56 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
BTW: film damage was REDUCED once 70mm had platters! Louis
Not quite true!, there were many examples here in the UK where 70mm prints did get Trashed or Damaged while in the hands of a poorly trained operator with Platters, these were maninly Multiplexes that opened in the 1980/1990's and were single manned.

There are some records for 70mm Reel to Reel shows at some Cinemas I have heard in the 1960's and "Sound of Music" was one of them that ran for almost 2 years with the same print at one Cinema I know.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2009 04:30 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your comments. Naturally when platters were introduced, it resulted in two projectionist operation for 70mm being reduced to one. So far from your replies, it appears that two projectionists were the norm in the 1950s to 1970s with large reels and change-overs. Was there objection by the exhibitors to the added cost of employing an extra projectionist or was it just accepted that it was necessary?

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2009 09:48 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add to Steve's comments above which are absolutely on the mark, another reason 70mm, in its heyday, had 2 projectionists was because of the weight of the reels. Many of the operators were old men at the time and hefting those reels could have been a problem. I remember "Pop" Shannon who was 90 years old and still working the Warner or Mac Sparrow who was in his 80s. This was not uncommon as most of those guys had started during the silent era. As I recall, theater management accepted the 2 projectionist rule because the format would pack the house.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2009 10:10 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Raskin
another reason 70mm, in its heyday, had 2 projectionists was because of the weight of the reels.
Tell me about it! I ran a 70mm change-over booth for awhile in the 1970's. I'm not excactly a large person. In the 1970's I was in my 20's and a full reel of 70mm magnetic stock probably equalled about half my weight at the time.

Being a little on the short side it was sometimes a challange for me to lift the huge reels up and try to get it on the spindle. There were some nights at the end of a long shift where I'd probably made an amusing sight trying to do so.

On one or two occasions where I just couldn't handle it, I'd get one of the ushers (yes, we had ACTUAL USHERS!) up from downstairs to help me guide the reel onto the machine.

I always found it somwhat confusing that union rules prohibited me from carrying film reels up any stairs and that they also provided me with a small 'reel-cart' to move the films across the booth. Both of these regulations were supposedly to prevent injury. But there was nothing in the rules to prevent me from hurting myself by trying to lift those big unweildy reels above my head while trying to get them on the projector spindle.

And why the reel-cart? I could easly ROLL the heavy reels across the booth floor from the storage cabinet to the machines. I didn't need a cart for that!

I'd have prefered they spent the money on a small platform or a block & tackle [Big Grin] to help me reach that top spindle!

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-11-2009 10:45 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The AVCO Westwood (which was a tri-plex) had one man for all three rooms. Setup was one upstairs booth and two downstairs booths. The AVCO had two projectors in each booth, and I'm reasonably sure that the downstairs booths (which were tight) were large changeover (automated) and IIRC the main booth had a platter.
When the AVCO was a triplex it had two operators, one in the downstairs booth. Which was equipped with two V-8's and large Cinerama size style reels. For 35mm we put the whole feature on one large reel, for 70MM we broke the feature into two parts because of the weight. All three rooms had the Pec-1000 (I think that was the model number). The upstairs booths was one large booth long booth. They were equipped with two V-8's projectors in both theatres and did auto changeovers with CP-200's in all booths. The reels were large 6K size reels.
The above is when the AVCO ran as a triplex and when I ran it. GCC twinned the main house (downstairs) and added the platters around that time. So today the AVCO is a quad.
But when you ran 70MM there was one man upstairs and one man in the main booth downstairs. So that is how the GCC AVCO Westwood was setup in the 1990's.

Over at the Pacific's Hollywood Pacific Theatre (triplex) Two rooms were equipped to run 70MM, the main theatre (1200 seats downstairs and one of the former balcony theatres 500 seats) The main booth (former Cinerama house, Baker) had two Century JJ's and a platter. So if 70MM was booked into the main room or upstairs, Pacific required one man to stay with the 70MM room.

In to Roadshow days in Los Angeles the theatre had two operators per shift. One for one projector and another operator for the second machine. They also got top rate for operators in the city.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-11-2009 12:48 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the '60s, the Seattle Cinerama (when running the format) had one projectionist for each machine (including sound), and a "master control) operator, who sat at a window, with filter plates and controls that could move the side projectors to match with the center machine. 5 people!

Of course, back then the Cinerama was a big part of the Seattle world's fair. Wouldn't do to have a presentation problem.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-11-2009 02:17 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have seen 70mm reels "stacked" so 2 reels were on one house reel. Only real men need apply! LOuis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-11-2009 02:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all the 70mm houses here that ran cinemecanica machines ran doubled 70mm reels

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: