Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Stumped on a AW-3 Take-up arm Problem! Can anyone help?

Author Topic: Stumped on a AW-3 Take-up arm Problem! Can anyone help?
Michael Dolan
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2009 03:17 PM      Profile for Michael Dolan   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Dolan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok heres the situation. All of a suddent the top platter of my AW-3 platter system the take-up arm started getting hung up while coming away from the motor. I opened up the access at the end of the Platter Arm Beam and I noticed that the arm is getting hung up on the black switch fr the LED motor Light. (I hope i am using the correct terms if not im sorry). At first I thought it was th spring so I ordered a new one. I replaced te spring but its still getting hung up.

Im lost and I don't know where to go next. This is the first time I have ever had to deal with a situation like this

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2009 03:49 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not having trouble paying out film my money is on the white nylon finger on the end of the return arm.

With the return arm assy unbolted from the deck arm, behind the spring where the arm pivots in the bracket you'll see it right in the middle. It's held in with the pin that ties the whole assembly together and has a small spring behind it.

When the return arm is engaged that finger pushes against the same assembly the centerfeed engages for payout. Normally when you press the return arm towards the motor you'll see the feed arm on the centerfeed move counter clockwise (the opposite direction it would move if it were paying out).
This action moves the light filter between the LED and the photoresistor which translates to speed control for the deck in question.

What might be happening is that nylon finger could have worn/shrunk over time and is slipping past the assembly on takeup and is getting stuck coming back.

Otherwise I'd say there was some kind of trauma that shoved things out of alignment.

Michael Dolan
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2009 03:59 PM      Profile for Michael Dolan   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Dolan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thnks dominic the nylon finger was my 3rd. guess bu I checed that ad it was ok. However whe you posted your reply i wen tback and checked again. I noticed that the assembly arm was actually getting caught on what looked like a very small set screw just opposite of the nylon finger. I loosened the screw out a little and it seeme to solve the problem for now.

That seemed to be too simple of a fix so we will see what happenes in the future.

Thanks for your help Dominic I appreciate it

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2009 05:07 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes the filter disk also slides on the shaft and can hang up on the return arm or the LED. If you have to adjust the disc height be careful as the set screw is really tight and you can strip the head of it. Don't use a ball-end hex wrench.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-07-2009 03:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Most often, assuming that everything is not "colliding" and has proper vertical spacing, just remove the axle and gently bend the "U" shaped black metal piece that sits below the light filter such that at the zero position (spring relaxed as far as this "U" shaped piece will allow) is prevented and instead stops at about the 5% position. Sorry for the lack of a better term, but the side of this "U" shaped piece actually rests up against a set screw and you don't want it to quite go that far.

That explanation probably makes no sense because I am so tired right now, but if you remove an axle and can't figure out what I am talking about, take a picture and post it and I will draw an arrow on it showing what I am talking about.

Once you do this the problem is gone forever.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-07-2009 04:47 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar problem last summer. When I took everything apart I found the disk which controls the light to the photo cell was getting hung up on the wires. I don't remember exactly why this was happening, but once I discovered this I was able to eliminate the problem.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2009 11:03 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is the nylon finger, it may have gotten bent when someone leaves the brain in, and pulls the take-up arm all the way forward. The brain will not allow the internal arm to move all the way forward, so the finger has to bend. Replacing the finger is best. Trying to bend it back is only a temporary solution, as it will bend much easier later.

Al Biers
Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2009 06:50 PM      Profile for Al Biers   Email Al Biers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I find the nylon finger bad I take it out, the platter will run just fine, as I remember the original units did not have a finger, just make sure the return spring is in good condition and with proper tension.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-08-2009 08:38 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have done the same thing.

Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2009 11:02 AM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had this issue on a good handful of AW3's that are about 2 years old. The 2 things I've found are that the filter disc is loose on the shaft or the screw and washer that set a stop point for the U-bracket that Brad mentioned is loose. I move the washer all the way to one side so that the bracket hits it sooner. There's very little tolerance for the arm to get hung up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: