Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can IREM N3-X75 be used for 2500W bulb

Author Topic: Can IREM N3-X75 be used for 2500W bulb
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2009 08:30 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one X75 from irem, I hear the rectifier can be used for 85A (2500W) bulb without problems, only to change diodes and put some higher than are inside now, also I was think to add two fan at bot on so they can suck air inside to cool it better. Any experiences in doing this?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-03-2009 09:27 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably agree to try this using 60 Hz current. HOWEVER, these run much hotter on 50 Hz than on 60 Hz. For that reason, I would be concerned about the health of the transformers themselves.

Remember the n3x75 is only rated at 1600 watts in Europe/2000 watts in the USA.

Bulb ratings:(Max)

70 amps 1600 watt

80 amps 2000 watt

95 amps 2500 watts

Of course you should actually figure the watts using the volts times amps formula. Louis

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2009 09:40 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually rated as 4 KVA rectifier, so I think it would be possible, one thing more is that this is changeover booth, so it won't be operate as is for plex or whole show.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-03-2009 10:19 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd think you want a fan on top, not the bottom.
A fan on our two IREM P1-X80s makes a huge difference in its temperature, but it's probably being overdriven at 2 kW.

--jhawk

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-03-2009 11:23 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though the design of the N3-X75, in a vertical position, with disperse heat like a chimney; I have in many situations, cut holes on one of the side panels to mount (3) 220V 50Hz muffin fans cooling each transformer stack, with enough air flow to help the diode heatsink.....I would power them up via the 220V terminals on the Irem connection panels.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-03-2009 12:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it should work ok especially considering that you more ethen likely have 50HZ 380 volt 3 phase which is what the windings on these older IREM's were usually wound for... Many of these rectifiers will barely light a lamp when run off of 208 volt three phase unless you install a booster circuit. I also second Richards idea of adding fans to the unit... they are way under heat sinked anyway.

Mark

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2009 01:39 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Yes, it should work ok especially considering that you more ethen likely have 50HZ 380 volt 3 phase which is what the windings on these older IREM's were usually wound for... Many of these rectifiers will barely light a lamp when run off of 208 volt three phase unless you install a booster circuit. I also second Richards idea of adding fans to the unit... they are way under heat sinked anyway.
Yea it's 380V/50Hz and I run it on that voltage, normal for Europe [Wink]

But I was think also good thing would be to replace diodes with stronger one, they don't coast much but it will be safer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-03-2009 02:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Semikron makes a large but still size compatable diode that is actually shipped in all new IREM's. It's available in either english thread or metric. I highly reccomend that diode... SKR something er other I think... the exact number escapes me at the moment... I still also second the fans.

Edit: Check this one out... Big Honkin Semikron Diode

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: