Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question About Old B&L Anamorphic

Author Topic: Question About Old B&L Anamorphic
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2008 05:12 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This lens seems to have a frozen adjust ring or I am not seeing how to change the focal length. I am assuming that you just turn the knurled black ring but the ring on this lens will not budge. Any thoughts?

-

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-27-2008 06:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know that the Silver ring is the locking ring, right? If not, first, loosen the locking ring and adjust...note...the locking ring must be tightened/loosened with the distance ring as you go.

Steve

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2008 06:30 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silver ring does not seem to turn either.

hahahaha, right after I posted I got the silver ring to move, thanks.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-27-2008 06:37 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2ea pristine ISCO 2X Anamorphic lenses that I thought were dead meat cuz I couldn't get the focus ring to move.
After reading Steve's above post, I thought I'd try his suggestion on my lenses...it worked!!!

Once again, THANKS Steve for unselfishly sharing your vast knowledge!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2008 06:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, and I was going to chime in on the help since I knew since I started in the booth back in 1970 that the outer ring was the locking ring on these B&H attachments....

When you got kids doing booth and grab the front of the lens to insert into the projector on a lens changout, they'd love to loosen that ring while doing this, which would knock off the focus and they wonder why they can't focus scope movies in....

And it's even worse with those compact Schneiders (the ones that didn't have the little knurl locking knob on the side) where the locking collar just clicks forward to unlock and it's quite easy to knock the focus out when kids turns the manual turret around using the scope lens to grab a hold of...

( [Roll Eyes] ..and Phil just found out about this??)

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-27-2008 07:17 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
..and Phil just found out about this??
YUP! I'm a 870/1570 projection, simulator ride, special efx guy...

When it comes to 35mm, I'm a total dumbass! It's only a hobby for me and my home screening room.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2008 11:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in that case...

WELCOME to FILM-TECH! Pull up a chair and sit for awhile - to get an earful about the 35mm presentation world ....

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-28-2008 08:25 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years, I've found a lot of lock rings frozen in place... especially if the lens came from a drive-in, where decades of dust settles into the threads and locks them on solid. I've been able to get those loose, however, by wrapping a neoprene cord (as found on in-car speakers) around the ring, and using it like an old-fashioned jar opener. Works everytime!

Sears now sells a tool that does something similar, using a wide rubber strap.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-28-2008 09:41 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently found a drive in with the 4" B&L anamorphic set to 60 ft. Unfortunately, he had a 550 ft throw. It had been that way for 40+ years. (I'd sure like to know who sold/serviced that guy!) I reset the lens DURING a Disney film and the comments were instantly positive. Louis

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2008 09:44 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once used an automotive oil filter wrench.
(After first wrapping the lens in a clean shop-rag to keep from damaging knurled surface around the circumference of the lens barrel. )

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-28-2008 06:06 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tool Tim is describing is a "strap wrench." They've been around for a long time, actually.

--jhawk

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-28-2008 06:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Tim is describing is a "strap wrench."
Yea - got two of those Sears Craftsman neopene rubber strap wrenches in my tool bag - great for tightening and removing oil filters with...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: