Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm projectors in Poland. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 70mm projectors in Poland.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-20-2008 04:17 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody know what these rather strange looking projectors are?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HWecpDgw4HM

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-20-2008 05:57 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the nameplate, Pyrcon UP 700. Several links

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-20-2008 06:12 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, thank you for that link.(Filmmuseum Potsdam).one of the most exciting things for me was to see a photo of the Mechau4 projector (it used moving mirrors and NO intermittant) and horizontal reel placement. The excellent James R. Cameron books (not the TITANIC guy) published in the 20's and 30's described how the Mechau worked. Specifically, you can find it in the Fourth Edition of "Motion Picture Projection" (1928) pgs 897-903

They also cover briefly the Graphoscope, an unusual machine with both reels under the head, and it projected out sideways from what would be the non-op side of a modern machine.

Here's a link of a nice pic of the Pyrcon from within the links:

Pic

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-20-2008 06:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
interesting to note is the Mechau was used as a telecine projector at the BBC in the 30's with a sound head

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-21-2008 04:44 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And was also used 'in reverse' with a film camera for film recording. Take a look here:

web page

Also, follow the link on that page to 'Telerecording at Lime Grove'

Used for its recording function the Mechau survived for a long time; it was still being used in 1953 when some of the recordings of the coronation were made on it. I think it probably lasted until the introduction of stored frame recording equipment. Although replaced earlier in its telecine function some BBC staff still referred to telecine as 'Mechau' long after the actual machines were long gone and Cintel flying spot was the normal equipment. I certainly herd the term used when I wisited BBC Television Centre in the early '70s.

The rest of the bbctv-ap.co.uk site was also worth seeing, but sadly disappeared some time ago. Much of it has since been recreated from archived material. (Lots of pictures of Mechaus there Tony)

web page

Anybody who remembers the 'Elephant's foot' version of the Kalee 21 projector will find the design of the original Cintel flying spot telecine rather familiar; Kalee, along with Cintel, Odeon Cincmas and Strand Lighting, was part of Rank at that time.

Cintel telecine

The three 'Quatermass' films were released on DVD a few years ago. They are technically interesting because the three episodes were film-recorded using three different systems, the Mechau, a suppressed-frame (surely it should have been called suppressed field?) system, and a stored frame system. It's available from

Amazon

Remembering that the original video was only 405 lines to start with, the stored frame system was a major advance over the suppressed field.

[ 12-21-2008, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: Stephen Furley ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-21-2008 10:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
The excellent James R. Cameron books
I've got the 1921 and the 1943 editions of his books.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2008 07:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is... Or at least was a runnable Mecahu at a museum in San Francisco....

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2008 09:16 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Polish projector manufacter, PREXER from Lodz did also made prototype of 70mm machine, but it newe did get into serial production.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-22-2008 03:49 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, thanks for the links..very interesting to see. The Mechau design certainly lent itself to telecine use quite well. I do wonder how a newly-made version, with today's superior lenses and mirrors, would perform in its original purpose, i.e. cinema?

Monte: Bet the differences in technology from those two years are interesting to note..and I think everyone here who has never read one of those books should check one out and see how things were done back then. They also have a lot of good information on optical theory, etc. which is useful today.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
There is... Or at least was a runnable Mecahu at a museum in San Francisco....
Do you recall which museum it may have been in?

Or maybe one of our Bay Area members could find out?

I'd love to get a close-up look at one.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-22-2008 05:41 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

There are two generations each of telecine and film recording use on that site. The 'Flying Spot Mechau' at the top of the page I linked to, and the 'Moye-Mechau' recorder on the 'Telerecording at Lime Grove' page are the second generation, and probably less interesting to you if you want to see what it looked like as a cinema projector. As far as I can see the pair of telecine machines with the engineer crouching down next to one of them is in pretty much original condition, except that for cinema use they would have had a larger lamphouse with an arc lamp. The long horizontal tube connecting the Mechau to what seems to be a standard 1930s Emitron studio camera was obviously added for telecine use, but the curved part that it connects to on the Mechau, above the angled mirror drum, is original, and contained a fixed mirror via which the beam was directed towards the screen. The 'lump' on the camera below the lens housed the neck of the tube, containing the electron gun. These cameras were obsolete for studio use by this time, but were still used for film transmission.

Some years ago the Projected Picture Trust (www.ppttrust.org) published an article on the Mechau in their magazine, with pictures and a description of how it worked. It's quite complicated, not just a simple mirror drum , the mirrors moved as they rotated. It might be possible to obtain a photocopy from them.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-22-2008 07:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
perfectone tried to re design and market that machine back in the 60's and I believe the SONDOR machine has bit of the the original Leitz designs

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-22-2008 08:56 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
perfectone tried to re design and market that machine back in the 60's and I believe the SONDOR machine has bit of the the original Leitz designs

Any of those machines still around?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-22-2008 10:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.sondor.ch/intro.html

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2008 04:54 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another Mechau projector is on display at Deutsches Filmmuseum, (Frankfurt, Germany).

There is a book about the inventor Emil Mechau, unfortunately available in German only:
Emil Mechau Story

Two Pyrcon UP700 projectors are still running at the "International" theatre in Berlin, maybe they will be used for the 2009 70mm shows, although there has been some talk about replacing them with DP70s (which have to be rebuilt for that purpose). A look into the "International" booth:

Pyrcon UP700 (scroll down to pic with platter)

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-23-2008 06:22 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick Bartel has one running in his shop in San Bruno. It is slightly modified to fit a Super Lumex. Bartel Audio Visual has been renting out film projectors in the Bay Area for maybe 50 years.

I'll get you in touch with him Tony.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: