Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » broken dts discs from technicolor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: broken dts discs from technicolor
Jeremiah Teague
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2008 01:05 PM      Profile for Jeremiah Teague   Email Jeremiah Teague   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone else ever get broken dts disks from technicolor? every single movie we get from them is always busted, cracked or scratched up... and this is on NEW prints. everything we get from deluxe is fine, though.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-20-2008 02:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call up TECH 1-800-99FILMS and request new discs.

Welcome 2 Film-Tech!

Jeremiah Teague
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2008 03:20 AM      Profile for Jeremiah Teague   Email Jeremiah Teague   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks. i call them every week. i was just wondering if this is a rampant problem others have or if my theater is the lucky one that has the shipping company playing kick the can with the prints before they arrive.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-21-2008 04:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must get used prints then from TECH. For I get them as well, yet I've never received broken discs, yet interesting that it's a problem for you people when getting prints from them.

(Please use the CAPS key when needed in your conversations here on F.T. ..thx)

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-21-2008 07:41 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[[Feel free to write in all-lowercase if you want! It's not like there's a rule about it. More people get annoyed at Monte's all-caps abbreviations, I'll bet! What ever you do, don't use the Caps Lock key. The Shift key, sure...]]

Is this a recent phenomenon for you? Did it change when TES switched from DHL to UPS? We typically get 2 prints a week (40% of which are TES). This fall we had only 1 broken DTS disc (7% failure rate for TES, or 3% overall). And we don't play films on the break, so we almost never see a new print.

I'd say it's probably a local phenomenon for you. I'd suggest having a chat with your regular driver, but if it continued into UPS, well...

--jhawk

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-21-2008 10:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
( [Big Grin] used to other forums I attend where using proper capitalization is critical..lol)

What's funny is that with TECH with used prints is that there is that spacer reel in there that the CD cases are usually placed in. Course, we get our prints from the Ohio depot. Thus, wonder if other depots have different shipping procedures than what I'm used to.

I think then that Mr.J.Teague is getting his prints from the Denver depot and he should look on the label where his prints are coming from. Then he could call up TECH and explain in better detail what is going on.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-21-2008 11:33 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fort Collins, Colorado is served by the Wilmington, OH depot.

Denver? What Denver depot? TES has Wilmingon, Ohio, and Ontario, California. I believe that is it.

(DFS certainly has a Denver depot--4100 Grape--but I can't imagine that's what you mean...)

--jhawk

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-22-2008 12:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..oh well...DFS was prob it then.

He still need to tell TECH of this condition then from whatever depot he gets his prints from...

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-22-2008 12:45 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremiah Teague
i call them every week.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2008 01:56 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say....that was mildly amusing.

oh and never get broken discs, doesn't matter though. We don't use them.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-22-2008 02:49 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] ...nor, do I play trailer discs. I'd rather be doing SR-D anyway - keep the discs in the cans.

Jeremiah Teague
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Jeremiah Teague   Email Jeremiah Teague   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only 7 of out 16 screens use DTS (and one is busted, so that makes 6). And the prints are new, so I know it isn't some other theater's mal-practice.

We've used DHL for Technicolor since I can remember but we might actually be switching to UPS. It be pretty sweet if UPS is more gentle. I'm ganna call Technicolor and let them know the extend of the problem but I have a feeling they'd rather just order me a replacement each week than try to figure out AND solve the mystery of the Fort Collins broken DTS disks.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2008 05:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Denver? What Denver depot?
He is probably in the same boat we were with TES prints, at least before DHL stopped doing domestic shipping. After they pulled out of the small-town business, TES prints were shipped from Wilmington by DHL to the hub in Denver, where they were re-shipped by UPS to us. We got billed for both legs of the trip, going and coming. (I just found this out recently when I got a whopping bill from DHL for prints we played in September. Apparently they stopped the TES discount when this fiasco started...we paid almost $100 for incoming freight for one print.)

I'm not sure how all this is going to work in the future with TES prints. Hopefully they'll just UPS them from Wilmington direct to us. If not we'll definitely be leery of booking anything but blockbusters from the companies that use TES.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-23-2008 06:09 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would ask TES about that now if I were you--I very much doubt they intended that to happen ($100 o/w charges).

We're currently UPS ground (2 days) from TES Wilmington -> Boston, and then UPS ground from Boston to the UPS depot in Columbus for returns.

--jhawk

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-23-2008 09:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting factor showed up today at one of our theatres: UPS shipped only one can (the mgr thought it was odd that this one feature was only one can in length) and I had the mgr tell his superiors of this shipment.

Superiors told the mgr that the 2nd can will be shipped tomorrow.

Since UPS sees each can as a separate shipment, is this going to be an up and coming problem using UPS with our TECH prints?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: