Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » kelmar media cleaner trouble

Author Topic: kelmar media cleaner trouble
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2008 04:40 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am having extreme difficulty getting film-tech keys/cores (whatever they are called) on to and off one of the take up shafts on my kelmar media cleaner. Also, even when the thumbscrew is completely loose, i cannot spin the core so as to rewind the media. Its as if the rubber piece in the assembly is just too big. What can i do to remedy this?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-16-2008 04:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeff

The cores on the take up side are meant to be tight...sometimes they are too tight though.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall a post somewhere here that said Brad would send you some of the older FT cores that had a larger diameter if you needed them. We have some from the early days of FG that we use as take-ups for this very reason.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2008 06:10 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when I pulled our kelmar units out of the rubble of the spare parts room to start using FG again, they had cores stuck to the take up shafts. I would tape the new roll onto the old core, then have to pull off the media pads when it finished.

I got tired of this and used an x-acto knife to take off the cores, then to shave down the rubber in the middle of the shafts. I later removed the rubber entirely (which allowed new cores to slip on and off of the take up shaft) but then it wouldn't spin correctly and put new rubber middle back on.

If you're having a hard time, I'd suggest taping the media directly to the take up shaft. While the instructions note being able to reuse the media once its rolled entirely to take up, I've never had it roll properly after an entire use.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-16-2008 06:46 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely your media runs too slow by that method.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2008 07:19 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is it supposed to move faster? either it moves at the speed of the takeup (from being taped to it or the core being too tight against the takeup), or it doesn't move at all because the core isn't turning.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-16-2008 07:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, send me a private email with your address and I'll drop a couple of cores with a larger inner diameter in the mail to you. The other solution is to buy replacement rubber inserts (they DO wear out with time). Cardinal Sound has the best replacement inserts.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-16-2008 07:45 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tyler Potts
I'd suggest taping the media directly to the take up shaft
Perhaps I misunderstood...I read that you were taping directly to the shaft...sans core.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-16-2008 09:01 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I simply left the 'take-up' cardboard cores on the spindle, and unwound the used media.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-17-2008 02:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's how you're supposed to do it...but for some reason people like to go through the extra effort of physically removing the core and then putting it back on. [Confused]

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2009 03:33 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got the larger cores and all is working well now!! Thanks much, Brad, and to all else who helped!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: