Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AQRM chip and Plextor drives question.

Author Topic: AQRM chip and Plextor drives question.
Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2008 12:46 PM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some time now I succesfully use the eminent Plextor PX-32
drives (in the CS, caddy version) in my DTS 6-D unit.
These drives however are 32x speed, and only 4x speed would suffice for proper DTS functionality.
DTS introduced the "AQRM chip" to replace the old ROM chip in response to the installation of 32-speed TEAC drives. The chip
reduces the speed of these fast TEAC's to 8x or 4x, thereby reducing undue wear on the drive mechanism.
Has anyone tried the AQRM chip in combination with the Plextor PX-32 ultraplex? And if so, did it do the trick?

|  IP: Logged

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2008 01:11 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not tried the plextor drives, but I am using 40x Pioneer CD/DVD slot-load drives on 3 DTS-6 and 2 DTS-6D units. They do not speed reduce and are spinning full bore during playback. However, they do perform "spin down" after about 30 seconds when the drive goes idle.

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2008 09:47 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blaine, spin-down also works with the Plextor's.
But since your drives are even faster than mine they wear 10 times as fast as would be necessary....!
So it's also for you an interesting thing to find out if the
AQRM chip will work with your drives and slow them for eternal
life..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: