Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Age of Vallen 40 C

Author Topic: Age of Vallen 40 C
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-14-2008 09:52 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been using a Vallen 40C masking/curtain motor on our screen masking as long as I've been here--22 yrs. It looked old the first time I saw it, anybody know when they were made?
It stopped working at the start of the early show tonight, I think the drive gear at the motor shaft is stripped, I'll look at it in the morning.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-15-2008 06:19 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about your particular model, but Vallen goes back at least to the 1930s. Is this a model where you click a bat-handle slide switch to make it go (and hit it like 3 times to reverse direction)?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-15-2008 11:45 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one is painted a sort of olive drab color, the motor has a bullet shaped gearbox on the end. The pulley that pulls the traveler rope is about 12-14 inches in diameter and is above the motor. It is setup for remote operation. One push of the button starts it, it runs until the preset selectors turn it off. The next button push reverses. All this takes place thru a solenoid operated rotary switch. I'd send a picture but I dropped the camera in a mudhole Saturday and I haven't dried it out yet.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-17-2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I was just curious, Bill. Sounds just like the one we used to have at the Kentucky Theatre in Lexington, back in my crank-twisting days. It was replaced by an ADC.

I'm not sure you can get parts for the Vallen stuff anymore.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-18-2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one died from lack of oil in the gearbox, the fiber gear on the vertical shaft stripped. I've found no reference to Vallen on the net anywhere.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: