Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Component Engineering Reverse Scan reader parts question

Author Topic: Component Engineering Reverse Scan reader parts question
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 07:01 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if it would be cost effective to buy just the LED/bracket assembly and power supply from Component Engineering? And if so, how much would I have to put into it? I have the actual reader (replaces the slit lens and Exciter) but nothing else. Or is it just worth buying a whole new unit?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-11-2008 07:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ST-40-A (the analog reader from a 40 series system) is about 36% of the entire ASR-40 system so that is amount of savings you would get by reusing your existing reader...PROVIDING, it is in good shape.

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-11-2008 11:17 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a CE reader, correct?

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 11:34 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a CE reader. Looks as if its the reader from an ASR-30. I know it works, i've swapped it out and tried it in another machine. I got it I think in a box of parts, but its missing the rest of the parts to make it work.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-14-2008 09:57 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The entire conversion kit has the power supply, LED unit and associated bracketry, and the reader assembly.
If your reader assembly is in good working order (the ones for IR leds look the same but don't work with red leds) then check pricing from CE. As a rule the cost of individual parts is always greater than the cost of the complete unit... someone once added up the cost of getting parts to build a car from them and it was about ten times the price of the complete car.
If the needed parts cost much less than the complete kit, easy choice I think. If the kit is close to the same price... well, you would have a warranty on all new parts and a spare reader aseembly by buying a full kit.
Some soundheads need a bracket to mount the reader head... if you ever plan to use a basement SR-D reader then get the dual mount bracket so you don't have to replace that: just add a second power supply, LED head, and the SR-D reader. You can buy the dual bracket, or an analog-only kit including the dual bracket.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-14-2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who told you that the IR reader doesn't work with the visible LED? You are misinformed...they will most certainly work. In fact, a CE upgrade from IR to visible does NOT include replacing the analog reader.

The change will require refocusing the reader...but doing an A-chain will take care of that.

If it is to be an analog only system, the slit-lens bracket is retained so all that is left is the power supply and the LED bracket and mount.

Steve

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-17-2008 10:43 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't recall by who at the moment.. I was given two analog CE readers that don't work and told they were old IR units incompatible with visible red light LEDs. Presumably just failed units?

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-18-2008 12:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly...it is also possible that their links were not cut to boost their gain. They should work.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: