Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Focus Issues - (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Focus Issues -
Adrian Hauser
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 05:16 AM      Profile for Adrian Hauser   Author's Homepage   Email Adrian Hauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Film Techers,

Before I start I will say I have already done the alignment test as per the
anamorphic procedure in the tips section.

Im having problems adjusting my focus.
It seems I can get the centre in focus but the sides are out. It is more noticable
on the anamorphic but also minutely present on the Flat lens as well.
This says to me it is a projector problem not "necessarily" a Lens problem.
Probably both, yes, but Im keen to find out what checks can be done
with the projector and lamp to eliminate what it may not be.

Projector Cinemattica 12 . Lenses Isco .
Open gate screen Luminance 14fl. 5600 Kelvin.
Non Variable output lamp.

Ive read on other topics that Lamps and radiant heat can also effect flat field focus.
What can I do to test these.

I have played with the gate tension rails and this has had no effect. It is very hard to tell if the film is bowing within the gate itself.

Id prefer constructive help rather than people bagging my cinemattica [Smile]

Many thanks in anticipation,

Adrian Hauser

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 10:34 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with a Cinematacca Projector so I'm not sure this suggestion will be of any help but I had a similar problem with a Century projector last year.

I could get the center of a scope image in in sharp focus, but the edges were soft, or I could focus to get the edges sharp and center was slightly out.

In my case, it turned out not to be the guide rails on the film gate, but the side guides on the film trap, which somehow had gotten slightly out of alignment by several thousandths of an inch. This caused a minute 'cupping' of the film which was invisible to the eye when looking at the projector running, but very apparant on screen, especially in scope.

I did not have a guage to re-set the width properly but I was finally able to do it through trial and error and I've had no focus problems since.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-11-2008 12:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(is this a Cinemeccania machine?)

Sounds like you've got a flat gate and trap machine there with bad runners that's causing slight film bowing in the middle due to heat from the bulb.

Benjamin John Doman
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 01:02 PM      Profile for Benjamin John Doman   Email Benjamin John Doman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw something similar many years ago on a DP75 with Peerless Magnarc conversion. We could focus one side or the other, but not at the same time. Worse on ‘scope. It had been a problem since the theatre had been twined. It turned out that the mirror mounting was not square in the lamphouse.

Adrian Hauser
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Adrian Hauser   Author's Homepage   Email Adrian Hauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks For the Replies,

Regarding the gate trap. Are the runners you are describing the little spring loaded
guides down the inside edge of the gate?

Are the side guides and runners the same thing?

Adrian

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-11-2008 06:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry on that - runners are the rails that the flat part of the film is pressed against when the gate closes. If there is any wear in this area, the film will not lay flat between the two surfaces and can flex causing focus issues.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-11-2008 07:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am assuming that you are referring to a cinemcanica vic12 which is also the portacine

my suspision is that you have several alignment issues
optically the lens mount axis must align with the lamphouse axis and perpendicular to the film plane
The vic 12/portable was less than exact in all of those issues

Adrian Hauser
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 10:23 PM      Profile for Adrian Hauser   Author's Homepage   Email Adrian Hauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon and Benjamin.

Yes it is the Vic 12.

given your statement below how would I double check the alignment of these.
When you say lamp house axis are you describing the Lamp itself, the mirror, or the entire housing?

Im keen to make this the best Vic 12 there is..... because its the only one we got and
were not about to invest in another.

>my suspision is that you have several alignment issues
>optically the lens mount axis must align with the lamphouse axis and >perpendicular to the film plane
>The vic 12/portable was less than exact in all of those issues.

Adrian Hauser

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2008 09:17 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adrian Hauser
Regarding the gate trap. Are the runners you are describing the little spring loaded guides down the inside edge of the gate?
I'm not sure what they look like on your machine, but here is the actual
film trap I had the same problem with that I described in my post to you.

The rails marked "1" and "2" had somehow gotten out of
alignment & were causing a slight 'cupping' of the film.
 -

I did not have a proper gauage to re-set them but I was
able to do so using a piece of scrap film and a bit of trial & error.

Have had no focus problems on this machine since.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-13-2008 12:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are the studio guides. The "alignment" for them is very easy; shove them apart as far as they will go. They're totally unnecessary.

Film lateral alignment is taken care of, surprisingly enough, by the lateral guides.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-13-2008 02:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim is right! Every unit shipped by ORC was wrong. Had huge "disagreement" with Jerry Kampbell who was their director of manufacturing. (Simplex XL, curved gate; you can see the edge of the film from the lateral guide roller to the sprocket.) Louis

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2008 05:06 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May seem a bit obvious....burnt lens?

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2008 09:58 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a fairly common problem.
If there is an area that simply will not focus there's one most
probable answer to your problem:
The lamp and mirror unit has to be perfectly realigned with the
optical axis of the projector.
To do this properly you need special tooling to get it really right.
Alignment shortcomings are the most common cause for your problem.
so I'd like to suggest getting a properly equipped technician around and have everything realigned.
Also it's worthwhile to check the concentricity of the cathode-
anode gap with the fitting end of the lamp.
It is not uncommon to find that the arc is out of centre as well.

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2008 02:10 AM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a newbie question out of curiosity... how is it that lamphouse alignment can affect picture focus? If the film plane is perfectly perpendicular to the lens, why should the image not be in focus (albeit poorly and unevenly lit)?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-18-2008 09:42 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The optical system is just not the lens but the optics of the illumination system as well
In fact a projection system is a optical bench for all intents and purposes

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: