Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » what is in a complete set of daters/snipes? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: what is in a complete set of daters/snipes?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-09-2008 07:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird random question: what would constitute a "complete set" of daters and snipes? I would expect that it would include at least the following:

Previews of Coming Attractions
Coming Soon
Our Next Attraction
Starts Friday
Starts Saturday
Starts Sunday
Starts Monday
Starts Tuesday
Starts Wednesday
Starts Thursday
Friday - Saturday
Friday - Saturday - Sunday
Saturday - Sunday
Monday - Tuesday
Wednesday - Thursday
Also
And
Also Selected Short Subjects
Late Show Friday & Saturday
Childrens' Matinee
No Smoking in this Theatre
Our Feature Presentation

Is this list missing anything? If so, what?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2008 09:15 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The set I had many years ago at a theater also included:
"Exclusive Engagement"

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 12-09-2008 11:53 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Cell phone users will be eviscerated"

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also
Saturday - Sunday Matinee

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-09-2008 06:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Bedford
"Cell phone users will be eviscerated"
Good idea, but teens won't know what it means. "Cell phone users will be fucked up" would be better understood.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-09-2008 07:15 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have also:

Friday & Sunday
Saturday & Sunday
Next Sunday, Next Monday, etc., etc., through Next Saturday
Next Friday & Sunday
Next Saturday & Sunday
Feature #2
Our Short Subject

And of course some specialized recurring events that a normal theatre would not have:

The Science Fiction Marathon
Next Week's Classic

We also have some blank ones, which is to say, they have our logo and the color scheme and soforth but don't have any text on them. I'm not quite sure why we have these, but they're occasionally useful if you want to go crazy and project some text over them with a slide or video projector.

--jhawk

[ 12-10-2008, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: John Hawkinson ]

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2008 12:50 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a subject which I wish there was more literature available. I've been collecting these things for a while and I was trying to assemble a complete collection of the old NSS set with the swirling colours, until Grindhouse came out and every man and his dog knows them now.

Some of the rarer NSS snipes I found were
"Plus this 2nd great hit"
"Attention! Smoking is prohibited in the auditorium of the theatre. Smoking in outer lobby and rest rooms only by order of the fire marshal."

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2008 05:18 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to add: "Welcome to our Theatre"

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2008 05:27 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damien, the name of that NSS series was called "Astro Daters."

The best resource for many of the snipes available are through Filmmack's quarterly, "Inspiration" magazine. Aside from Irving Mack's awful jokes, you get a good idea as to what was popular at the time.

"Go to church," misc. holiday, "air conditioning" and "on our new wide screen" are some novelties.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2008 09:53 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Jack. There was a "Get more out of life" for both drive-in and hard tops. Although drive-in stuff and theatre and candy promotions are another breed altogether.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2008 02:05 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pike Productions makes an excellent policy trailer that includes what Jean-Marc suggested. A couple of years ago I used it in a theatre I was managing and found it an excellent way to open a show. It covers everything from trash to feet on the seats to cell phones and runs about 1 minute with some great punchy music. You can preview it and all their trailers at their website.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 12-10-2008 02:51 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite snipe I ever found was "For the benefit of those patrons arriving late, a portion of the feature will be repeated." That must've been a serious grind house snipe.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-10-2008 04:17 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E Allen
Pike Productions makes an excellent policy trailer that includes what Jean-Marc suggested. A couple of years ago I used it in a theatre I was managing and found it an excellent way to open a show. It covers everything from trash to feet on the seats to cell phones and runs about 1 minute with some great punchy music. You can preview it and all their trailers at their website.
Actual link to said website

Apparently, they've pawned their stuff off to Filmack.

Personally, I always thought Pike's trailers were crappy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-11-2008 12:53 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pike and Filmack both, I thought their stuff always looked dated and cheap. At least one of them (Filmack, I think) would put a "copyright notice" across the bottom of the picture near the end of the trailer that looked really cheesy when projected, what with the three-inch-high letters and all.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off-topic I know, but does anyone know who made all the old drive-in rolling stock, like the stuff with the handwritten codes out of the projected area.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: