Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sticky feed-out arm on platter brain

Author Topic: Sticky feed-out arm on platter brain
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2008 07:01 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, I have a (new to me) used Speco platter (old red) that works great, EXCEPT the movable take-up arm on the bottom tray tends to stick. When we first bought the platters, we upgraded both units from static to removable brains. On the problematic platter, when the brain sits on the top two trays, it works flawlessly. The take-up arm moves back and forth without the least bit of friction; the bottom tray, however, is a different story. Even without film in it, when you move the arm to the left (to activate the motor), it will fall back about an inch, but then get stuck.

I've loosened the bolts at the base of the tray so I could tilt it more towards one side, hoping it would give the arm more of a gravity pull, and that seemed to help a little, but it's not as smooth as the top two. I also sprays WD-40 into the sleeve that the brain sits in (I don't know the technical term for that hole), thinking it might be encountering friction there, but that didn't do much.

Could it be that I need to realign the little magnets on the brain itself? If so, how do I go about doing that. Sorry to act like such a noob, but platters are completely new to me -- we've been running reel-to-reel for the last three years.

Thanks guys!

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-08-2008 07:42 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you're talking about the feedout plate and not the takeup arm. Underneath the affected deck, remove the cover plate over the speed control card/magnet assembly and check to see if there is anything mechanically interfering with the movement of the arm. Sometimes, the wires connecting the speed control card will block the arm assembly. If not, check the condition of the shaft bearings. Also verify that the deck is reasonably level.

Generally speaking, I've found it's NOT a good idea to shoot lubricant into feedout arms, instead make sure they are clean and dry.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2008 09:00 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice, Tim. I'll check it out as soon as the show stops. The WD-40 was a tip from my projection tech! [Embarrassed]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-08-2008 11:04 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WD40 fixes everything! [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-08-2008 11:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd use FG instead... [Big Grin]

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2008 11:20 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use WD-40 to clean port windows and lenses too. It works so well that it seems the focus never needs to be adjusted....it's always foggy.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-09-2008 04:20 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this same issue on a Speco years ago. I cannot recall specifically what the cause was, but remember the magnet was hitting something...I think it was a wire. It's easily fixed though.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 12:50 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I used to call the people at Speco for help. They were very helpful and help me pinpoint and fix the problems I encountered.

Here's their contact info:
Contact Us Systems & Products Engineering Co. 709 North 6th Street Kansas City, KS 66101 1-800-633-5913 Toll Free (913) 321-3978 (913) 321-7439 FAX

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: