Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Black emulsion scratches and filmguard? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Black emulsion scratches and filmguard?
Craig Mueller
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2008 05:15 PM      Profile for Craig Mueller   Email Craig Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody, my print of Australia was scratched a couple of days ago by another projectionist making the bottom loop in a simplex 35 too big. The scratches are throughout the movie but mainly are black. I am curious if film guard can remove black emulsion scratches like it can base scratches or if all emulsion scratches, even shallow ones, are permanent. Sorry if this is a repeat of another question, I searched around but couldnt find an answer.
Thanks!
Craig

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-05-2008 05:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig

AUSTRALIA is the last print I'd want to see scratches on so I can appreciate your predicament.

So long as the emulsion's still not removed it will get rid of those. If you want to get rid of them immediately, you should take the print back to the rewind bench and apply FG manually, or just do it via your Kelmar Cleaner but it will take a few passes. You may want to re-soak daily to clog up those scratches. Stop re-soaking as soon as you're happy with its progress.

Do you currently use FG or will you have to get the gear in?

I had a print come in afetr being run in the city with (no kidding) no less than 20 emulsion scratches of various depth across the image. I had it down to one really deep (although borderline to taking the image in places) in four days.

Craig Mueller
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2008 05:57 PM      Profile for Craig Mueller   Email Craig Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, unfortunately I don't have a cleaner for my theatre, our chain has two but not one for me.. Definitely not my decision, I love the stuff.. The scratches are mainly down the middle of the film, top and bottom, and rarely in the middle (thankfully) and some parts it shows up as yellow, so I am not expecting improvement there, but if the black scratches are able to be reduced that I will pick up a cleaner and go at it. Glad to hear that black scratches may not be permanent. I am curious, what is the general consensus on the movie in Australia, if there is one? It is certainly beautiful, but very Hollywood so I am curious how it was received.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-05-2008 07:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Black scratches are usually on the base with emulsion scratches being green or yellow

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-05-2008 07:45 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Australia took just over $10million over its first 5 days. As a general comparison, we do around 10% less than what USA does with releases as a general rule.

So, it's pretty big here. Reviews are generally more favourable here too...perhaps it's seen as 'unpatriotic' to knock it...I don't know as I haven't seen it yet but will perhaps go this week.

Emulsion scratches can be black too, just not too heavy or they take the image. Regardless of which side your scratches are on...if they're black then they're fair game for the FilmGuard machine.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-05-2008 07:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No they're not! I've seen black base-side scratches unaffected by Filmguard. The person who scratched the print decided that the lower roller was unnecessary and went straight from the failsafes to the first take-up roller on the platter, rubbing the shaft that holds the lower roller. Of course this guy threads so the soundtrack faces toward the wall so we were presented with many very deep base scratches that could not be affected by anything. We couldn't get a replacement print and held onto it for months, of course.

[ 12-07-2008, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-07-2008 12:53 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always the ones you want out of there that like to hang around.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-07-2008 01:02 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Craig Mueller
another projectionist making the bottom loop in a Simplex 35 too big. The scratches are throughout the movie but mainly are black.
Umm...the lower loop would touch the emulsion side of the print if that loop was too big. Plus, if the scratching wasn't deep enough to go into the emulsion itself, it will come out black on the screen.

Did you get him straighten out on how big the lower loop should be - a finger's distance between loop and the rear curve plate when the loop is at it's smallest?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-07-2008 02:08 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just point this out yet one more time...since when are two different people's fingers the same size? [Roll Eyes]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2008 06:29 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very best way to assure consistent sound lip sync as well as mechanical stability is to count the number of frames in all loops.

KEN

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2008 06:45 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now know that there's at least 2 other people on the planet who agree with me on this. [beer]

As to fingers for sizing loops [fu]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2008 10:06 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete,

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the FU finger more consistent in size from person to person than the others?

KEN [Big Grin]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-07-2008 10:08 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. [eyes]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-07-2008 10:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I do my lower Simplex loops is to make them (at their biggest point) as big as possible so long as it does not make physical contact with the upper part of the metal. Basically the frameline will be in the 11:00 position on the lower constant feed sprocket.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-07-2008 11:30 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way is sound diamond across the scaning beam and Pix start in the gate that was the way it was designed

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: