Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Panastereo CSP1200 Power Supply Blowing Fuses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Panastereo CSP1200 Power Supply Blowing Fuses
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a used Panastereo CSP1200 about a year ago and it needed a new front panel. I replaced the front panel and powered it up and it worked fine. A few nights ago I powered the processor up again and it blew a fuse. It was a specialty time delay fuse that I didn't have laying around so I bought a few and tried again last night.

I tried replacing the cord, disconnecting the front panel, different 115V outlets and taking the power supply out of the processor all together, but it still kept blowing fuses. I have not hooked it up to anything since I have had it so I know it is not something else causing the problem.

I am at a loss here. I hope Norm is still fixing these so I can get it working again. Anyone have any ideas to try before I ship it off? I inspected it visually and it appears to be free of any noticeable burns or defects. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-03-2008 04:54 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh...yes, Norm is still fixing them. Odds are, you've lost a power regulator (the guys exposed and screwed to the heat sink).

The other highly likely suspect would be the bridge rectifier(s). When one blows a main fuse on most any power supply immediately upon turn on...start with the bridge rectifiers and work your way out...odds are it is something early in the circuit.

BTW...do you have a CM410 (linear) or a CM510 (switch mode). They look nearly identical but they will have a suitable silk screen identifing what they are.

One thing to help with a CSP1200 is to ensure it has good air flow...always give the CSP1200 a rack space above and below the unit and I also tend to filter and blow a rack to ensure a positive pressure of cool, clean air is going across the equipment. It has resulted in much cleaner racks and the equipment tends to last much longer.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-03-2008 05:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had several csp1200 loose the bridge rectifier

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2008 06:56 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I have the CM510 model. It is in an open relay rack with plenty of airflow around it and I haven't hooked it up to any amplifiers or anything yet or used it. It has just been sitting in there and I turned it on to try and learn the functionality of it. I have powered it up at least 3-4 times since I have had it with no problems. It seems to be in really good shape and well taken care of except for the front panel that had glue on it that I had to replace.

I will contact Norm about getting it fixed. Thanks.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-04-2008 08:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Carl at Quality Presentations is in the process of taking over ALL Smart Devices and Panastereo repairs in the USA. Smart's repair facility is no more. Its a super simple repair so just take it to a competant local audio electronics tech as he can easily repair it for you in about an hours time! And yes! Its just a blown bridge rectifier... a VERY common problem with both types of the supplies. The 510's also have another problem with PC traces but that doesn't cause a blown fuse.
BTW: We also have all the CSP-1200 modules in stock and can do an RA or repair on any of them for you.

Mark

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2008 11:49 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the bridge rectifier board mounted? We have simple ac to dc step down power supplies that we use in our equipment but they don't have this much circuitry in them so I was a little timid about working on it.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-04-2008 12:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CM510 is a switch mode supply...

As to Norm, what Mark said is false...he WILL repair Pana stuff (I've spoken with him in the last 48-hours). I have also spoken with Quality...while they will attempt repairs on SMART stuff, no mention of Pana as of yet and it isn't like they are "taking over" just providing an alternative repair facility for out-of-warranty items.

There are Pana units still within the 2-year warranty...the last ones came off the line in June 2008.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-04-2008 01:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the bridges are on the board. They are about one ana a quarter inches long by a quarter inch wide by perhaps one inch high.

Steve... The 510 is not a switch mode power supply, the switch mode supply idea was abandoned long ago. If you'd like I can post pictures of the insides of a 510.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-04-2008 02:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno Mark...that was the claim for the CM510...changing it over to switch mode to, among other things, reduced the heat generated as compared to the CM410 (which got very hot). The CM510 started out fanless...they eventually added a fan.

I've never verified the switch mode claim.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-04-2008 03:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, that was their intention but it just ended up being a re-designed regulated supply instead.

On the 410 bridge replacement... I don't install an exact replacement on the pcb... I re-locate a bit beefier metal encased bridge on the inside of the metal cover so it can efficiently dissipate the heat it gives off. They never fail a second time...

Mark

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2008 09:44 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I shipped it off to Norm this past Friday so we will see how things go. I'll let you know what I find out.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2008 06:01 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best I recall, the CM510 was indeed switch mode regulation, at least some of the supplies. I may have a schematic somewhere. If I find it, I will let you know some details.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-15-2008 10:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humm... I am pretty sure it was you that told me it wasn't. Could have been Ray too... someone said it was going to be pure switch mode but that in the end it didn't actually run any cooler and was "noisy" so they left it as a standard although updated regulated device. Anyway there were pcb problems with them as well. And the cheapo plastic bridge rectifiers just don't cut the amount of heat they generate over the long trem... They were also problematic in other units, especially in the MOD 2C's power supply.

I sort of look back and chuckle at the whole Panastereo thing... a good processor it was and very reliable in the beginning... but when Norm told me he that his power supplies could fail because Dolby's also had a history of failing... well, that was the last batch of Panastereos I ever sold. Switched to the CP650 and have yet to have a power supply failure with any of them... or a single failure for that matter.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2008 05:36 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a while, and the memory fades a bit on some of the details. As I recall, the input stage was good old fahioned transformers, bridge rectifiers, etc. It was definitely not pure switch mode, as in rectifying the line and using isolated switching buck regulators to get down to the required voltages. However, and as I recall, at least 2 of the supplies, the + and - 15V supplies for the analog circuitry, were switch mode regulated. These were the heaviest loaded supplies and would benefit most in terms of heat reduction by using switching regulators.

I think all the other supplies used standard analog regulators, but I am fuzzy on that detail also.

You are correct about the bridge rectifiers being a weak link.

As far as comments about Pana vs Dolby power supplies, sometimes it is amazing how a few ill-chosen words can make such a difference.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-16-2008 08:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bridge rectifiers are often the weak link
On the Mod2c powersupplies I had the solder melt around the bridge on some of them

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: