Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Info on becoming projection tech

Author Topic: Info on becoming projection tech
Eric Rice
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2008 04:13 PM      Profile for Eric Rice   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,

I'm interested in pursuing a position as a projection tech and am wondering what the best way would be to go about getting that position. Such as, what do I need to know before anyone would hire me or is it possible to train under someone as an entry level tech/apprentice.

I have 4 months 35mm projection experience with a 17 screen theatre, have experience setting up numerous consumer A/V systems, spent the year of 2007 as a video production intern both producing videos and setting up all A/V related components for numerous conferences during the year, and also have extensive PC troubleshooting/repair experience and custom build PCs.

I do not have much experience in film projection equipment maintenance but am a very mechanically/technically inclined person and a fast learner. I do have a position lined up doing equipment maintenance for a 10 screen discount theatre, which I'm thinking might be a step in the right direction. I would greatly appreciate any advice on what I should do if interested in a tech position and with whom I should apply with in MN and surrounding states.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2008 05:37 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While my time in this industry has been limited... from what I've seen on how long it generally takes to turn that into a career - I think it would be a better idea to go after the digital cinema realm. I don't believe a theatre company would be very prone to put money into training a film tech when he'll be almost useless not too far from now. However that's my take from what I've seen. Best of luck to you!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-30-2008 05:49 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The future does not include just film-only techs or digital-only techs. To be employable you need to do both.

LEARN ELECTRONICS! Get a thorough education in the fundamentals including AC theory, reactance/impedance, and digital logic. You probably should accumulate more booth experience, too. Start reading instruction manuals and become involved in repairs - even if it's just observing and asking questions. Setting up A/V shows and consumer equipment isn't even in the ballpark.

I was on the phone troubleshooting an ingest problem with an operator several weeks ago, and the first thing he told me was how "good" he was with computers and how much experience he had with them -- and how he thought he'd be a good tech working on digital cinema equipment. Yet, he couldn't properly read the ingest progress bar for me, or find a USB port! My point being that there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. Particularly since there are a lot of guys in this business who have a knack for making it look easy.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-30-2008 07:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Start reading parts manuals like the bible and study how things are put together - this is how I got ahead of the game from being a min. to low wage "button pusher" where practically all the theatres I worked at, I could repair and fix problems without calling for outside techs to come in to repair. In short, I save these theates tonnage on the dough on outside service call bills.

It also helps considerably if you know how to read schematic drawings.

Having these skills do get you above the typical "booth monkey" since you can do something that the average employee to a manager can't even imagine - sorta buys job security.

There is no formal schooling outside of what Tim mentioned above with learning tons of electronics, that pertains to this field - it's an all "hands on" and "trial and error, learn from your mistakes and make it work" career.

Learn projection mechanics and sound procedures, esp. on the sound since that area is more prone for standard maintenance procedures than with mechanical since it changes so readilly per each day.

If you got any form of mechnical knowledge, love working with your hands, not afraid of making decisions and judgement calls and the love for the business, you're on the right road in going after this career.

But, plan on long hours with no days off at times, being away from home for days on end if you go independent, and being on call 24/7 for any sort of problems, esp if you've decided to be a in-house company technician.

Good luck in your search.

-Monte

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2009 09:49 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I enjoy doing is breaking out the manuals and learning how stuff works. Actually, that is one of the first things I do when I work somewhere and I have a little free time. Unfortunately, I think the market for a cinema tech within a reasonable range of where I am is considerably weak. In order to effective find a job as a tech, I think I'll have to transfer, not just to a different city or local area, or even state, but likely transfer to a different region. This would be difficult to pull off. I feel like I'm pulling by my bootstraps. Hard to pool together the resources to relocate without knowing where my job may be. But hard to get a job if you're not already in the area. So I have what I feel is a decent knowledge/skill base, and experience. The hard part is actually finding a job. At least in my opinion.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2009 02:11 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having the ability to repair things with minimal assist from a tech has kept me employed and tolerated. The hardest part is learning what NOT to do in regards to repairing or adjusting. Getting into trouble sometimes seems to be part of the learning experience in the booth...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-08-2009 08:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reccomend that you go back to the "Who The Heck Are You" thread and read some of the backgrounds that us "working techs" have. You'll find out that typically those of us working had many years of experience in other areas that may also pertain to this field before we started doing what we are now.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-08-2009 08:28 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Greenlee
Hard to pool together the resources to relocate without knowing where my job may be. But hard to get a job if you're not already in the area.
Just stick back some money; not knowing where you might find a job has no bearing on that. If you have the knowledge and skills, you can get a job. You just have to be willing to relocate. I have been involved in this business since 1974, and not once have I been able to be a full-time tech in the area where I grew up. There were a couple of times over the years when I had a chance to, but it either never materialized or the time wasn't right for me. Home becomes where you put down roots.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-08-2009 05:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
I have been involved in this business since 1974, and not once have I been able to be a full-time tech in the area where I grew up.
Actually there IS a big demand for techs in the Midwestern Region... He'd probably even have luck in his own area.

Mark

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2009 04:49 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to be negative, do you really want a panicky phone call (from a high school kid) just when you are about to sit down for dinner and have to run out (hours) to solve some problem that any trained projectionist could have solved? Think doctor or some other highly paid profession if you are to be interrupted.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2009 05:22 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And like the doctor who sees patients with similar symptoms over and over again and can diagnose it quickly (lab tests are to cover their asses), I often have the problem figured out as I am driving to the theatre to fix it. I'm not a tech, but the "Go-To" guy when something breaks down.
When the tech hears my voice on his phone, it's an "oh shit" moment for him...means I can't figure it out.
I could pass for a tech, but I don't possess the electronic gear nor do I have a "pink noise" card. (always wanted one of those. The sound pressure meters can he had at Radio Shack for about...$70?)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: