Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problem with Osram XBO 2KW Classic Line (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Problem with Osram XBO 2KW Classic Line
Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 08:46 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all!

The picture illustrates a problem we had with an Osram 2KW bulb in a SLC20. The bulb was removed with 130 hs.

-

The replacement bulb installed is showing the same damage with 140 hs. They were both new and are only 2 serial numbers apart.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? If so, WHAT THE F%%&$ IS GOING ON???

|  IP: Logged

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 08:00 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check rectifier, maybe some diode is NOT conduction so you have much ripple in DC, or you maybe magnet for arc stabilizing??

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-24-2008 08:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you are getting is the Classic Osram Failure! IMHGO since they are so close together in SN you may have gotten a bad batch of lamps. Why are you even wasting your time with those lamps?

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 10:14 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had fun with the 4kW OSRAM Classic bulbs too (search for osram classic.) The first looked just like yours, the second blew a seal and turned blue.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-25-2008 01:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What makes them "Classic"? The fact that they fail?

Here's another problem with OSRAM bulbs:

-

-

I bet I can fix it, what do you think?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-25-2008 02:37 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Guard'll get that cover right off there. [Wink]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-25-2008 06:29 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean someone strike that lamp with the cover on it?

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2008 10:44 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet they covered it up when it was still hot.

Mark G.: The reason I use these bulbs is that they are the only ones that have a dealer in this part of the world. Importing Ushios/Christie would be more expensive.

Thank you all!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-25-2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andres Briano
I bet they covered it up when it was still hot.
Isn't it a bit dangerous to operate on a lamp that is stil so hot?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-25-2008 02:53 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is very dangerous. I was in a theatre when another tech removed a 4k lamp that was still hot, he was waving it around like a baton with no cover on. The manager was wondering why I had suddenly grabbed her by the arm and dragged her out of the booth. [Smile] (That same tech once spent over TWO hours to change a breaker in a subpanel.. I found him working on his tape measure..)

The old hard plastic covers made for interesting modern art sculpture when they were left on and lit. [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-25-2008 04:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
Do you mean someone strike that lamp with the cover on it?
That's what I mean!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-25-2008 07:37 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's what I mean!
I can't believe it! [Smile]

Perhaps someone forgot to tell him/her to strike his/her brain before replace the lamp...

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-25-2008 10:12 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Geeez, you guys! [Roll Eyes]

Joe did it himself, to enhance the quality of his normal Film-Tech theatrics!

The bulb was probably on the way out, anyway.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-26-2008 12:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andres Briano
Mark G.: The reason I use these bulbs is that they are the only ones that have a dealer in this part of the world. Importing Ushios/Christie would be more expensive.

Andres,
If another lamp outlasts the one you are using and give little to no trouble then it IS alot cheaper to use it. Refunds and lost shows because of utilizing poor quality lamps costs both alot money due to lost shows and a theaters reputation!!!!

quote: Jack Ondracek
The bulb was probably on the way out, anyway.

Hey... thats a good one Jack... But I'd have to add that those lamps are on their way out before they ever come in! I may have to have that one put on a Sweat Shirt for Joe!

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-26-2008 02:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is right, better off with other brands.

And no, I did not do that myself. It didn't even happen at my theater. I'd be afraid it'd catch fire. A client of a friend did this, and friend still has the bulb.

I'm not sure how anyone could miss that, though.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: