Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need Christie part number for AW3 MUT motor brushes - resolved

Author Topic: Need Christie part number for AW3 MUT motor brushes - resolved
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-23-2008 08:53 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't able to find a part number in the manual and I was hoping someone would have it.

|  IP: Logged

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 12:23 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC Christie used several different models of Bodine motors over the years, so this probably explains why the manual is mum on replacement brushes for MUTs.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-24-2008 01:59 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any good motor shop in your area can supply you with the proper brushes. Take the motor out and take it with you. Be aware that some motor shops don't deal in small motors, in that case another good place (no kidding) would be a shop that repairs vacuum cleaners or small appliances.

I may have some of the brushes for the more common, small motor (not the one that is a platter motor that was used on some direct drive MUTs) I'll hit you up with a PM if I have them in stock. Please give a bit more detail on the motor in your mut.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 05:47 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Graton at Christie should be able to supply you with the part number if give him the model of the motor.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-30-2008 11:01 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got the brushes I need on order, but I never got a part number. For what it's worth, I was told they were called "standard spring brushes". Here's a picture.

-

Just out of curiousity, is it normal for them to wear unevenly like this? I haven't changed these brushes in the 3+ years I've been at my current location so I can't say for sure that someone previously didn't change one brush only.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-30-2008 11:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's common for DC motor brushes to wear unevenly like this. I've got STRONG platters that uses those LAMB vacuum motors and I can have one brush wear down completely and the other brush still have a good 3/4" left on it.

Just change them out in pairs and keep the long one as a spare if needed.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-01-2008 08:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please note that those Bodine motors are OEM which means the parts for them are generally NOT available at local motor shops!!! Installing the wrong brush WILL ruin the commutator. Be dam sure what it is that you have bought if getting it from a local motor shop!!! Just because it looks the same and may fit DOESN'T mean it's the right brush. There is a large Boidine distributer on the west coast who's name escapes me but they would be the best source to get them from. They are also the only motor shop I know of that is able to completely rebuild the armature... rewind it and install a new commutator while donig so.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: