Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Aftermarket LED replacment part #'s Does any one know any?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Aftermarket LED replacment part #'s Does any one know any??
Jason Beard
Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2008 05:37 AM      Profile for Jason Beard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

It seems like we have more and more L.E.D'S in the projection booth for sound [Frown] some L.E.D'S seem to last forever, others seem to last 1 or 2 years...

The main reason I am starting this thread is I believe there are quit a few ppl. in here that knows enough about electronics & soldering to replace a L.E.D. I need to replace some L.E.D'S in a SDDS DFP-R2000 Reader & 1 L.E.D In a DTS time code reader (voltage is maxed out on both) But I dont want to buy Sony’s Overpriced L.E.D array assy. And I know that Sony does not make L.E.D'S, So there has ro be a 3rd party supplier for L.E.D'S , Not just Sony’s but all L.E.D'S… I am sure that I will have to replace a L.E.D in one of our many BACP reverse scan readers sometime.
I will say that I have never seen a L.E.D Like the one in the Sony reader, Wow it looks weired!!!! I have not taken apart a DTS time code reader or a BACP yet to see what those L.E.D'S look like..

So lets keep this thread all about part # of “after-market” L.E.D'S, Where to Find them, How to replace them, and any other technical info that might be useful for L.E.D Sound Equipment …. No bashing of equipment!!! Every where I read someone is complaining about Sony or someone Else’s equipment UGH maybe it all that theater can afford…

Now, I can not find any part #’s for L.E.D'S but I am gonna start out by what I have noticed on a sdds R2000 reader before replacing the L.E.D'S assy.

1. Removed the camera cover & the side accesses cover (the one above the cable connector 4 screws), grab a can of compressed air and start blowing, If there is No Dust or Emulsion in it, I wanna visit your booth!!!!!
2. Then after U blow most of that crap out, Remove the L.E.D assy. And use lens cloth or a lint free rag and clean the L.E.D. then use a Q-tip with lens cloth or a lint free rag over it and clean the 8 lenses where the L.E.D'S shine into (lenses for the Fiber optic cable) I would not use lens cleaner in case the Fiber optic is not sealed (does any one Know???)
3. Replace the the led assy. and the cover’s Make sure the red wire goes to the red plug and then clean the camera lenses on the sdds reader. I do this on all sdds readers before adjusting the L.E.D'S voltage… on some the voltage was fine, they were just dirty….
4. Even if the Voltage is maxed out Cleaning the L.E.D'S will Buy U some time till U can get some…
If u don’t know how to adjust the L.E.D'S Voltage go to Sony’s Website or on here there is a manual that tells u how to, I don’t remember if it is in tech bulletins or manuals… While I am here, why do u need a sope to adg. The voltage? Why can’t u use a Volt meter?

Later all,
Jason Beard

[ 11-14-2008, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Jason Beard ]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-14-2008 08:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

Serioiusly...just get the Sony current LED assembly (x2). Their price is 1/2 what they were when the system was current and the current versions (have a slight pinkish tinge) will last a LONG time and fade very slowly.

Steve

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2008 10:47 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can try with some "ultra-bright" led's, well the question is how they will last because they are operated on high frequency so that is killing led's, but try...I did replace one reader by some cheap led's, they do work for a year now without fading.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-14-2008 01:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re=leding them yourself is extremely time consuming and there are many many other wear points on the penthouse that should also be checked during a refurbish. I've done alot of them and I won't even sell the bare LED's to anyone because its so difficult. Each individual LED has to be precision aligned and then glued in place once aligned so it doesn't move out of alignment. It takes me about 2+ hours to do them and I still do do them but only if one sends in the actual penthouse they mount on... I have found that doing it yourself is far superior to getting the Sony assemblies because each individual LED is position optomized for the penthouse it will live in... not on some general purpose factory alignment jig. I've also never had to re-led or even tweek the video level on any of the units I've rebuilt and some have been in for close to 5 years now!

Mark

Jason Beard
Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Jason Beard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again All

OK U guys are kinda missing the point, I did bring up the SDDS, But there are so many more LED's, in audio, Like reverse scans, Dolby digital readers, DTS readers, Etc, This should not just be limited to Audio, there are alot of platters that need LED's also like the Christie Aw3's... I know there is a lot more to LEDs such as wavelength, Voltage, Current, Brightness, Etc. I know there are 3rd party suppliers that may have them such as allied electronics, Carlton Bates, Heck there is even a great electronics part store in Tulsa called Affiliated Electronics that has about every LED under the sun, I am Sure that any mid to large city has a simmilar Electronics part store. It would be nice to have replacement part numbers or equivalents in case U get into a bind and need to get something up & running A.S.A.P even if temporary until U can get the correct LED If No 3rd part led is avaliable...

Later,
Jason

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-14-2008 05:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reverse scan LED's have to come from USL or Dolby... They are custom made LED arrays.

Mark

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2008 05:53 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Re=leding them yourself is extremely time consuming and there are many many other wear points on the penthouse that should also be checked during a refurbish. I've done alot of them and I won't even sell the bare LED's to anyone because its so difficult. Each individual LED has to be precision aligned and then glued in place once aligned so it doesn't move out of alignment. It takes me about 2 hours to do them and I still do do them but only if one sends in the actual penthouse they mount on...
First time I did replaced complete reader led's (two boards, 12 led each) for about 45 min and align them, you don't have anything special there to align, mostly they fit good as original was, just check by moving each led do you need to align it, and after that just set level to nominal value. Setting of level is explained in sony's technical bulletin, you may find that on SDDS web.

List some catalogue, find red led's which can produce more light, and use them....you will see it will work, that led inside are nothing more special than this one, specially that was 12 years and today are many better and cheaper led's.

Also, you may check if possible in data sheet what is maximum respond time of led, because this one are driven by higher frequency, don't know which, but you can refer to that in manual.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Reverse scan LED's have to come from USL or Dolby... They are custom made LED arrays.
Good point....I beet I did saw one time on web led so similar to this one's, but can't recall where it was.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2008 03:21 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about this?
Led replacement on ebay

C.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-15-2008 03:43 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's take a side step on LED topic. I want to ask a question on an idea that I'm wonder if this could work or not:

The lot of us have dual LED readers - optical and digital. Most of our equipment are using the digital side of this spectrum. Thus, the lowly optical reader hardly gets used.

Now, there is that practice of wiring the LED transformer across the motor run taps on the TB board of many consoles so the LED's are off when machine is at rest.

Now, can we go one step farther on this by somehow having the processor control which LED to switch on depending on which format is used?

This would save tonnage of LED usage and extend LED life, esp the optical, 10 fold if this can be all possible.

-Monte

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2008 05:21 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Now, can we go one step farther on this by somehow having the processor control which LED to switch on depending on which format is used?
Let's say for changeover situation enough would be to get led's controlled by dowser or motor start, but switching led's by format would be bad, because in moment digital fall of analog led must be switched on, and on same time processor would fall to analog so that will probably occur some pops in sound, also if we play in analog, how the processor would know is there a digital if led is off [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2008 08:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin...

It helps to use a scope and look at the video waveform when adjusting the LED's and of course the most critical ones are the center row. The outer rows are jut for shading and evening out the waveform. In some cases you can almost live without them all together.

Mark

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2008 09:40 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, normally for aligning i was think using a scope, you can't set that without a scope.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-15-2008 10:58 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LED on the link may or not be a Dolby 32075, the only genuine part for use for reading analog and to a slightly lesser extent, sound tracks.

The price is about what I charge my good customers as the part costs me $50 in large quantity.

The best costs more.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2008 01:34 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, if is not secret, what led's do you use in you're readers?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-15-2008 02:37 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh for cryin out loud..people need to wake up to some simple economics and quit bitching about "How expensive" projection parts are.

Some simple math for y'all:

Let's say a replacement LED for your reader costs $100.00

And worst-case life is that it lasts for one year....

$100.00 divided by 365 days = $00.2739726 or 27.4 CENTS PER DAY!!

For two year life of course the actual cost is half that, or $00.1369 or about 13.7 CENTS A DAY

By screwing around and trying to find an untested, unknown quality replacement LED, you'll lose a hell of a lot more money in downtime and refunds.

This same rule of economics applies to the foolish attempt to save a few bucks with no-name, imported Xenon lamps.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: