Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Component Engineering TA-10 / Smart Mod V problem

Author Topic: Component Engineering TA-10 / Smart Mod V problem
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2008 03:58 AM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Smart Mod V controlled by a Component Engineering TA-10 that switches back to non-sync when the projector motor shuts off at the end of show, rather than with the changeover close, causing a thunder if a count-down or other silent film isn't in replacement of the tail. How do I change this?

|  IP: Logged

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2008 10:40 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a new problem or has it been like that since install?

The shutter close is handled by event 4, End Of Intermission sequence. The sound format switching should also be associated with this event. At the moment for some reason your sound format switch is associated with event 5, Film Run Out.

The manual, available for download on Film-Tech, explains how the event relays are associated with the required events look at page 17 section 3-8 for a diagram. It involves placing one end of a diode into the relevant vertical event track and the other into the track controlling the relay you want to operate on that event.

It's not a very difficult job to do but does require careful soldering onto the main board. If in doubt get a tech to look at it for you.

Hope this helps. Happy to help further.

Regards.

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2008 05:11 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been this way since I've worked at the theatre (about 4 years). Thanks for the info! I'll let you know how it goes.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2008 06:26 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The breakdown of how the TA10 works is very simple and therefore easy to understand. It does however require a bit of planning when installed.

I never use a cue that covers the SRD sound track whilst On Screen as it does cause a reversion. So I reserve any cue that involves the outer, sound track side, cue to any function that is not actually 'On Screen'.

I personally used the middle cue number 2, for the 'Interval/End of Show' event number 2. The reason was that this cue did not cause any movement on screen as the cue passed thru the gate. And as it was the most important cue it did not suffer from wear as it never came into contact with any part of the film path.

I would use cue number 4, inner cue, for the Raise House Lights to Low at start of credits, as it did not involve the SRD sound track so no reversion.

My full listing of cue's is designed so that there is only ever 2 cues applied to the feature itself, all other cues are on the in house lacing leaders.

Cue 1= Wide screen masking (Applied while off screen)
Cue 2=Start of Interval/End Of Feature (Applied while On Screen)
Cue 3=Spare
Cue 4=House lights to low at start of credits (Applied while on screen)
Cue 5=Masking to Scope (Applied while Off Screen)
Cue 6=Spare
Cue 7= All STOP! Which applies event 5

This may seem rather convoluted at first but once you understand it it leaves most of your cues on your in house lacing leaders and very little to apply to each feature as you make it up.

The TA10 does require a strict regime as to how you make up and cue your films. But it gives very reliable and consistent presentation once you have mastered it.

For a simple to use automation it is my personal choice.

Happy to help further if required, feel free to email me.

Regards Ken.

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2008 07:13 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Success! Re-soldered the jumper to event 4 and voila! Now one more question... i manage booths in two theatres that sometimes exchange prints. both run TA-10's, the only difference in programming being that the lights down cue is center at one theatre and center+outboard at the other. how do i change this so that print exchanging can be the most convenient?

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2008 04:45 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear you sorted out your problem.

Regarding the lights you have one theatre using cue the centre cue (no 2) and the other using outboard and centre cue (no 3).

Unfortunately I don't have a diagram of the main board of the TA10 to hand and there is no picture in the manual.

From what I remember there are two sets of vertical relays. One set is tied to the event functions and the other s are tied to the cue numbers.

Provided all other functions and cues are the same in both theatres it is simply a matter of moving the wires from cue 2's terminals to cue 3's terminals.

Just be careful and make a note of all of the current cue functions and compare to see that only 2 cues are involved.

How many projectors are involved altogether? It may then be easier just to copy the wiring from which ever is the greatest number of projectors with a particular set-up to the other lower number of projectors.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Regards Ken.

Brian Long
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2008 10:37 AM      Profile for Brian Long   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Long       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,

Please give me a call at 206-284-9171. I would be more than happy to help you with your wiring and explain how the TA-10 works.

Ken,

Thank you very much for your input. I was a little slow in picking up this thread and should have offered our tech support number a long time ago.

Brian
Component Engineering

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2008 12:03 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Brian.

CE have always been very good when I've needed help or advice. Happy to help.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: