Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Role Models - DTS Not Playing

Author Topic: Role Models - DTS Not Playing
Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 08:04 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the situation...
The DTS for our movie Role Models is not playing. The DTS unit is working. Our DTS 6AD played it in every drive. We called and a new set of discs was over nighted to us but the movie still did not go into digital. The oddest thing is that the attached trailer to the print plays in digital off the disc A.

So I guess the 6AD is good. The DTS disc seems fine. So does this mean that the time code is printed wrong on the film? Should I request a new print? Anyone else have this problem with this movie or others?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 09:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..Drives are getting tired. When was the last time your drives have been replaced?

This wknd, I had two 6D units that the two very well used drives died. Luckilly, I had new drives to replace with.

There is a rotation procedure that I always do so the two main drives gets a rest once in a while: and that is: rotate your drives with the discs.

Place "A" disc in "B" drive, and "B" disc in "C" drive..and so forth.

Single disc usage can really be played with in this rotation.

But, if you're using trailer discs, include this in the rotation.

Remember, with 3 drives, you got 9 possilities that can be done.

There has been other topics of the reader being a tad out of alignment when the feature begins. Does your reader's status light stay steady green, or is it blinking at odd times?

-Monte

Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 09:59 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reader stays green and the unit is picking up the disc. Each drive plays the trailer disc as well as the trailer that is on Disc A of the movie disc. One of the drives was replaced less than a year ago. So all the drives are okay and the attached trailer on Disc A plays as well just the movie nothing.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 10:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6AD units have had a history of problems with the middle processing board in the processor with playback.

If probs are irratic up to consistent, check with a tech with these units. The 6AD units were not the best liked being a dual processing unit.

If you can, switch that print in that house to see if problems follow to the next unit.

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 11:18 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, let’s step through what you have found so far, the feature discs play fine in a DTS-6AD, so chances are it’s not a disc issue. The trailers play fine in this other DTS but not the feature, however the trailer disc does play fine in all of the drives in this player, so chances are not a drive problem. Timecode on film problem? Can’t say impossible but HIGHLY unlikely unless it's missing timecode on the print, a solid green LED means the DTS is seeing timecode this will be soild even if you have the wrong discs in the player. So the discs must match the print, meaning title and serial number, and also only one feature can be in the system at a time, never place two single “one disc only” feature discs into a player. Has this unit played movies recently with no problem? I have to ask because if this unit was not updated with the latest software in the past year or so DTS feature discs will not play after two minutes. Trailer discs will play if the system was not updated. Confirm you have the correct discs for the feature and they are the only discs in the unit with the exception of the trailer disc, watch the DTS player when the feature starts, does it play for just two minutes and then drops out? If yes you require an update for that system. If it drops out and does not play any feature audio it normally is a problem with the disc serial number not matching the timecode serial number. If you suspect the print look at the DTS-6AD screen while it’s playing the serial number of the print is displayed and should match the one printed on the discs.
Last if your DTS has a board problem it will not selectivly play just the trialer audio.

Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 11:27 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The feature for role models never actually plays.
The trailer on the features disc does play.
Green LED stays on and strong.
6AD disc indicator goes from outline to solid dark disc showing it is picking up the disc.
Discs are for the right movie. Both sets of discs that we now have are neither work.
All drives play fine with trailer disc/ disc A trailer on features disc.
Last week, Zach and Miri played fine all week in DTS.
I hear you on it not being a board problem.

Will check serial number next show. Thanks for that piece of advice. I did not know about it.

Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 01:37 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Serial number displayed from the print matches the serial number printed on both sets of DTS discs received. I am quite dumbfounded by this as well as our tech company. Oh well I guess...

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 03:42 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are always fun and challenging things to figure out…did I say fun?
When the feature starts the DTS-6AD will display reel number and serial number, what is the reel number of reel one? I know sounds strange but when the feature starts what reel does it report as playing? Also does any reel of the feature play?

Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 03:55 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe fun... definitely interesting.

The serial number the 6AD displays is correct. It matches the serial printed on the discs.

Reel #1 says Reel #1.

I watched the entire movie Saturday. Other than the attach trailer, discs did not play for any part of the feature.

The game continues

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 05:27 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To jump back briefly why I asked about reel # 1, on this show a reel 13 was created due to a change in distributor logo on the beginning of the feature for foreign release. So if you are playing reel one and it is reporting reel one that is not the problem if reel 13 came up that audio track is not on the domestic discs. Since you report that no feature reels play I pulled a set of the discs and have found that “Role Models” requires your 6AD to be updated to the most current software. Check what version you have on the 6AD, it should be CPU Version 2.08, DSP Controller 1.03, and DSP Firmware 2.06.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 07:03 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you reset the 6D (cycle power to the unit) when you changed discs? It may think that it still has the discs for the last film in it, and it will not play what it thinks are the wrong discs for the new film.

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 08:00 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes in most situations when all else fails reboot, but in this case it is not the problem, right now it may need a software update. DTS made changes some time ago to help prevent piracy and if the software was not updated on certain units the audio would only play for about two minutes. That was the quickest way to know if an update was needed, however recently I found that this is not always true, in certain releases the feature will not play at all.
Since the 6AD has been playing features with no problem up to this point and currently plays trailers with no problems it is really doubful that the system is having a problem it really points to the possiblity of needing a software update. DTS offers updates for no charge and can be obtain via emailing DTS tech support direct or giving them a call.

Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2008 02:48 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

After checking it indeed our CPU version was off, it was 2.06. Our thought is we have done a board swap on it since the upgrades went out with Spiderman 3. Luckily, our techs are in this week for our bi-annually serious maintenance stuff and just happened to have the DTS upgrade disc with them.

So we are in the process of upgrading now and will post once the show goes up in 40min.

Thanks a bunch for your help it was something I didn't know about and our techs did not think about.

Kudos to you Mike.

Also, current DPS firmware we have on our processors is listed as 3.06. The tech guy said something about it shipping on the DTS discs for Disney movies.

EDIT**
Role Models is now successfully running in DTS. Thanks for the help.

[ 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Ryan Navaroli ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: