Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Multiplexes...(6+ Proj) How often do you clean your projectors? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Multiplexes...(6+ Proj) How often do you clean your projectors?
Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 12:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just curious as to how often cleaning, and to what depth of cleaning, is done at other multiplexes.

We have 10 Projectors and we clean two a day with every other week a deep clean including oiling, and tightening up of various parts. The other two days are left to booth cleaning (mopping, sweeping, Organizing new posters, and taking out the trash) and movie construction and tear down.

|  IP: Logged

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 12:55 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
24 plex, film path cleaned every night with alcohol and tooth brush/cuetips/like rags.

Essentially taken apart cleaned & put back together every 6-months.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-10-2008 03:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6 plex. As needed, which is not very often. A wipe with a shop rag here and there. I just can't paint my projector or brush its teeth.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 04:15 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At all of the complexes that I worked at, I do the above, yet have a 5gal air compressor with an air gun to blow out the consoles and machines..

Christies are easy to clean since of no oil cleanup to worry about.

I opened up the console with exhaust fan on to aid in extracting the blown dust up the stack.

I've noticed some complexes that have centralized air compression that allows compressed air availability per at each console by moving and attaching the short length of hose via speed connections.

Film-Guard on cue tips helps clean trap bands rather easilly.

Some large circuit booths don't allow alcohol due to flammability and insurance liability reasons.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-10-2008 06:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector and sound heads always get cleaned before every show, regardless of number.

Oil gets changed every ~4 months or so (three times per year).

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 08:21 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I came on it was as needed, then asigned gate & trap cleanings... then as the head of projection was lazy, it wouldn't be enforced and it went to shit. To get out of that we started each projector deep cleaned once a week (14 projectors). I'm changing it now to 1 deep clean a day, sun - thurs and seeing how clean we stay.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 03:44 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gates cleaned after every session.

Deep clean weekly (or more if time permits).

It only takes 10 seconds to do the gate...I don't want dirt going back on my ads and trailers for no reason.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Projector and sound heads always get cleaned before every show, regardless of number.

Finally.... The correct answer

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 04:31 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in charge of theaters at my old job:

Every projector was supposed to be cleaned each time it is threaded, using a shop rag, paint brush and toothbrush. These items were kept on a small shelf right next to each projector.

Also, each employee was supposed to do a "take apart" cleaning on one projector per shift.

Well, that was what the rules were...
But nobody was asking whether the rules were followed. [Frown]

Now, at Mercyhurst, the projector gets wiped/brushed out each show. Since we use FilmGuard on every single run, we don't have to do much more than that very often at all.

But, when I have a Work Study student who needs to pick up a couple hours I put him in charge of cleaning the projector.

Our projector gets a "take apart" cleaning once every month or so.

(It only gets about 20 - 30 hours of run time per month.)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 10:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector and sound heads always get cleaned before every show
...and obviously, running IMAX film, this is a very crucial and strict procedure.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 09:17 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector and sound heads
Monte, Scott isn't referring to IMAX projectors. The don't have soundheads.

It's equally crucial to any film presentation to clean the projectors before every show.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-11-2008 09:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea..whoops. forgot to exclude soundheads on the IMAX machine topic...but agree. .. thx Tristan... - Monte

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2008 01:59 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

Back in the day.....

I remember working as a projectionist at the local 21. We were all expected to clean the projectors thoroughly before each show. I took pride in knowing that the projectors were clean. Years later, I returned as the technician for the theater and was pleased to see that absolutely nothing changed in the quality of upkeep on the projectors. Even though you are now working for a different company, I wouldn't see why you couldn't expect the same attention of detail from the theaters you oversee.

Routine cleaning is such a crucial part of preserving the presentation.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-13-2008 03:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tristan Lane
We were all expected to clean the projectors thoroughly before each show.
...and how do I remember you guys with your cleaning procedures up there - you could eat off of those machines in how clean that booth was and everything had to be.

Now, don't really know what's going on up there since you've left.

True, what I oversee is of different stages of cleaning procedures - from below average to caring. But, as mentioned before: when you have managers who are just filling space in doing just a job instead of having a career attitude, their caring attitude is rather on the weak side when it comes to that part of the operation along with the booth clowns seeing the example the manager sets and going along with that same attitude.

And do you think I can convince these hum-drum managers that what I try to convey on what is to be done, taking seriously? Thus, when I visit locations, I, more or less, do what you are mentioning above on absolute cleanliness since no-one else doesn't care.

Sorta a crazy uphill battle for me..but it's keeping my job secure and that is the payoff right now.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-13-2008 08:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
At all of the complexes that I worked at, I do the above, yet have a 5gal air compressor with an air gun to blow out the consoles and machines..

Thats a Bozo no-no! The dust only moves to a different part of the room and gets on other sometimes important areas, sending it repeatedly up the stack will lead to early clogging of the squirrel cage vanes in exhaust blowers . Vacuuming out the console, lampouse, or what ever is the preferred but not necessarily easier way to clean.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: