Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Highlight II console wiring harness

Author Topic: Highlight II console wiring harness
Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2008 06:32 PM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 (did have 4) lamphouses running LTI 4.2 HEH lamps & quick change switching power supplies. The problem is the quick change harness is made of too small a wire to run at 160A which these lamps are designed for. A sister theatre in the market only runs the same setup at 115A resulting in very poor light on the screen but no harness issues. My thoughts are cooling fans or make my own harness that is hardwired in place. What do you guys think?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-09-2008 06:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
160 amps is more in the current range for a 6 or 7 K lamp

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2008 07:13 PM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
160A is the max in the current range.

A 4.2 HEH is essentially a 6k lamp, or so I have been told. I'm not sure what all the details are but it supposedly has twice the light of a standard 4.2., or so I have been told. Before we changed to LTI lamps we had a 6k osram in that house. Light output is 190,000 lumens, I do not know the specs from other manufacturers.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2008 10:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Fred! I believe those Amphenol plugs are rated at 100 amps maximum. Anything larger than that SHOULD be hard wired. I have also seen many of the twist lock AC plugs go bad on those!! Check them often to be sure the screws securing the wire inside is tight... ditto for the chassis mount half on the switcher itself.

BTW: We don't send switchers to Strong... they charge way too much to repair them... we charge quite a bit less and still make a fortune repairing their switchers every year!

Mark

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2008 10:56 PM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah when a power plug goes bad I hard wire that in & order one when the budget allows. I have the harness figured out, except for the lamp terminal stud. Was thinking a brass bolt with a ring terminal would work??

Mark, the funny thing is I have yet to have a plug go bad, its always the wire itself.... who knew #4 wire is NOT rated for 160 amps, apparently Strong didnt. When I build my own it will be 2/0.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-10-2008 11:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2/0 should definately be fine although calculations would probably show that for the short lengths of #4 they use that it "should be fine". Its usually not in real life though... They should change the name of it to Strong Low Life II console!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: