Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » calculating seating height...

Author Topic: calculating seating height...
Catalin Balaceanu
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2008 02:41 PM      Profile for Catalin Balaceanu   Author's Homepage   Email Catalin Balaceanu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody. I've been looking all over the website for this, but I couldn't find a complete answer to this matter:
OK, so I wanna change the seats in my auditorium. The old ones are from the 60's. So, it's about time.
In the research process, I found out that the new seats, nowadays, are 10 - 20cm higher then the ones I have right now. Which make me fear that, once I install the new seats, they will mess up the visibility to the screen.
Is there a formula that would help me calculate the height of each seats row, according to the parameters of my auditorium?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Catalin

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 05:22 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't matter unless you have mostly children. You "sit" well above the backs if you are an adult.

No way to know without the floor slopes and screen heights mapped on a cross sectional blueprint. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 07:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
draw it out on paper or in cad and trace the sightlines

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-08-2008 09:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a case where CAD really is best. You can draw lines from every row. Adjust the height of the screen until everyone can at least see above everyone else's head. With CAD, you just grab the one point (At the bottom of the screen) and it will move all of the lines.

Steve

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 11:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you buy seats from a dealer, they will calculate that for you. You will need the dimensions of your auditorium; the angle of the floor (you can just give them the amount of drop from the back to the front); and the distance from the floor to the bottom of the screen.

NOTE: It might not hurt to get a second opinion on this. We had a reputable seating company do a sightline test for us in 2002, and wound up having to replace the seats in 2004 because they were WAY off in their calculations (among other things I won't get into).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: