Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is the oldest projector you are running? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is the oldest projector you are running?
Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2008 01:02 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have two very nice Victoria 4 E's. Manufacture date for the both is February of 1968 by Cinemeccnica of Milan Italy.
We also have the original lamphouse with the glass reflectors.

Units play in analog only with converted sound heads. Both are trouble free and the easiest to thread for new projectionists. Lamps were originally 1000 watt, now converted to 1600 watts.

We also have 4 simplex units made in the mid 1980's, no where as reliable as the Victorias.

We just recently got rid of two Victoria 5's due to lack of parts and lack of reliability.

Louis

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 01:13 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a quad of V4E units in a twin that was still 6k reel with auto changeover setup in the early 70's. Units were using 1600w bulbs in that vertical setup.

Later on, UA bought this twin in 1976 and split it to make a 4plex. the Cinemeccanica units were also split up to accept AW2 platters.

True, wonderful machines, but remember that they were leakers since they used the XL oil bath setup. Yet, never had any problems with their either.

In 1977, I graduated up to V5's and problems began with the belt breakage on occasion at a 3plex that also the 4X4, 13k reel tower.

In 1984, I moved up to a 4plex playing with another quad of V5's with the same belt problems. At least the platters were very reliable (DrIn LP-270s)

In 1991, back to another twin with V8's with the V18 setup with the 13k reel rear transport along with Strong AP3 platters - kinda a dual transport availability.

But, mainly did Simplex - from Standard to Mil2k machines.

-Monte

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2008 01:44 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Monte, I forgo to mention that they leak badly. We never have to change the oil, since we are always adding new oil. I have an oil mat around both units to catch the errant oil.

lou

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2008 02:47 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently running a SH-1000 soundhead manufactured in 1939. Also have a pair of Century "C" heads probably made right after World War II. All equipment used daily and is extremely reliable. No 15 year life expectancy ratings here. [Razz] [thumbsup]

Catalin Balaceanu
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2008 03:18 PM      Profile for Catalin Balaceanu   Author's Homepage   Email Catalin Balaceanu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use two 1967 romanian made projectors. They were produced by a company called I.O.R. which nowadays they make military and medical optics.
 -

The projectors were updated with analog SR sound, soon to be upgraded with Dolby Digital and SDDS, plus Schneider-Kreuznach optics, after our building renovation will be finished.
What I like about these two projectors, is that they are very quite; even though they have gears and not belts, they purr like a cat...and they don't leak any oil, what so ever.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-08-2008 05:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
V5 parts are hard to find? I thought that the projector was a current-production item, which should mean that parts are readily available.

The oldest equipment that I've run would be a pair of Centurys on Western Electric bases/soundeads with Brenkert Enarc lamphouses. The soundheads and lamphouses are from 1938 (original to the theatre) and the picture heads are from the 1950s. This equipment is in daily use. I've also run Super Simplex heads from the 1930s on RCA 9030 soundheads (1950s?) in a different theatre.

The newest equipment that I've run would be a pair of Kinoton FP-30Ds built in 2006.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 05:18 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In general, I prefer gears to belts.

We are installing SH-1000 and Century C in a 3 screen add on to an existing 11 plex. Using the Kelmar auto turret and Dolby Digital basement readers. All 14 are the same, very reliable, overhauled by Hadden. Would pass for new, except no reliability problems.

In the Indianapolis Museum of Art, "black" XL's with XL gear driven soundheads.

Nothing above is any newer than 1960; could be from the early 1940s onward.

Sound/automation/xenon is new. Louis

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 06:19 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
The oldest equipment that I've run would be a pair of Centurys on Western Electric bases/soundeads with Brenkert Enarc lamphouses. The soundheads and lamphouses are from 1938 (original to the theatre) and the picture heads are from the 1950s. This equipment is in daily use.
Scott,

Is this at the Avon? If so, one of our lecturers is from RI and knows the place, though he's lived in the UK for many years now.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 06:57 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now we're running a pair of XL PR1003s made in mid '52 each has an SH1000 from late '41.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 07:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had issues getting parts for any cinemecanica product
If the belts are replaced yearly and the proper speed control to control start and stop ramps are used they don't break belts or loose gearboxes

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-08-2008 09:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen -- yes, that would be at the Avon.

I should also add that there are many Century Cs still in service in many theatres and most (all?) of those would date from the 1950s or earlier.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 11:36 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal projector is an XL with serial number 128, the Black IPC model. It runs super smooth and quiet. Rock steady image and it doesn't leak oil.

Wasn't there a thread somewhere here that listed the serial number ranges for Simplex?

I knew Howard Strait (I hope I got the last name right) one of the chief folks responsible for the XL and some other Simplex gear. He was a wonderful person and a genius when it came to working on Simplex.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2008 06:12 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's plenty of pre-CinemaScope Westars round here, you cna spot them easily, Mobel A or B, low serial number and all manner of file marks round the lens hole in the casting where it was modified for 'Scope. That puts such machines pre 1952 I think.

One in the Cameo in Edinburgh has some paperwork dated 1955, still running beautifully. It's been updated somewhat, CE reverse scan, curved gate and timing belt primary drive replaced the twin vee belts and chain.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2008 06:52 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my hamshack/screening room still running my Brenkert BX-40 from 1940 and Simplex SH-1000 soundhead from 1941. [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2008 09:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I don't run film I service over a dozen Super Simplex's, an E-7, and many Brenkert BX series that are still in use on my service routes. All will very likely last until the end of film which is just a very short while away.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: