Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How do you thread --- and why? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: How do you thread --- and why?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-07-2008 08:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots of different methods that people use to accomplish the seemingly simple task of threading a projector. One guy I was trying to retrain a few months ago said something to the effect of "Everyone has their own way of doing it". He is no longer allowed to touch the projectors because with an attitude like that I felt that he didn't care about a proper method, just as long as the movies played on the screen.

All of my platters are on the non-operator side of the projector. I thread so that the soundtrack faces the platter tree and away from the wall going to the roller on the tippy-top of the projector, bypassing it and back down to the bottom roller of the platter. The emulsion side hits the rollers as often as possible without any crazy twists. I have Strong platters and I do not tuck the leader into the so-called "notch" on the ring. I let tension do my bidding which makes the ring less than effortless to remove (no need to collapse) by lifting straight up as everyone should.

After this I open all of the projector parts if need be and rewind the film cleaning media since my cleaner is mounted on top of the projector. I spin the flywheel so that the the intermittent has JUST STOPPED its spin. Most people think that just as long as it isn't in motion, it is OK to thread. Not true if you value proper loop size. I thread from the bottom up, keeping the leader off of the floor and making sure the framelines of the leader are in specific places on each sprocket. This guarantees consistency in my loops.

That's about it in a nutshell. Sometimes when I am training others, I notice they occasionally go back and adjust their loops after the fact. I say that if you put the frameline where it needs to go as you thread up, you shouldn't need to do this... ever.

It should be noted that I was trained to thread soundtrack facing the platter tree and away from the wall and threading the projector top down, while the leader between the projector and the platter rests on the floor. I learned of a better way and made the effort to change.

So, how do you thread, and why do you do it the way you do?

|  IP: Logged

Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 08:30 PM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of our projectors have the platters on the non-op side, but our other one doesn't, and I thread that one with the soundtrack going out and out. I always have the soundtrack facing the platter tree.
I taught myself how to lace up from the bottom up years ago as I just found it easier to do it that way.
As far as loops go, we have Kinotons and I always measure the bottom loop by turning the inching knob with my finger on the film, at it's lowest point it should be no higher than 1cm above the lower feed sprocket cover, any higher and we get sound issues like everyone is under water. The top loop at it's highest point should be no higher than the top of the nut next to the upper feed sprocket, that's how I was taught and am teaching newbies that way. If that is wrong please tell me!

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 08:46 PM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound track should always face the tree and the projector should be threaded from the bottom up without the leader ever touching the floor. Thats the way I was taught and that is the way that I train. Sad sad things happen to people who deviate from their training.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2008 09:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do thread from the top down. Somehow I have developed the amazing superhuman ability to do it without the film touching the floor. I use two methods for this: (1) the wastebasket method, in which the film is kept in a basket; or (2) the more common method, in which I keep the film between a couple of spare fingers and keep tension on it while threading from the projector to the platter, thereby keeping it off the floor.

I can definitely see the advantages of bottom-up threading and will get myself converted someday, or maybe not since we'll probably be digital in a year or two anyway.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 12:59 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 26 houses - all STRONG equipment - that are set up both ways - gear side and driver side platters.

Both set of platter setup: soundtrack going to and coming back always face inside..away from the screen.

On the gear side: soundtrack comes out of the brain away from the tower, yet facing the tower coming back making the film still towards you.

On the driver's side: soundtrack comes out of the brain towards the tower and comes back the same way.

I get lazy and do the classic top down threading, whereas, when I keep in shape and show others this, is by the reverse threading (starting from soundhead up to the top..some really need to learn how to do this and they'll find out that how much easier this can be along with keeping leads off the floor..), but I always attach the lead to the rewind ring first after I make my "triangle" - film to top roller of the machine, then straight down to the lowest roller on the platter tower.

Joe should have put down "how many of us know what "setting the intermittent sprocket" means ... and it's amazing how many people really don't know what this is let along doing the setting..

quote: Mike Blakesley
we'll probably be digital in a year or two anyway.

... that's pretty cool, Mike. Good luck on that venture since you've got the screen requirements to run digital.

-Monte

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 07:33 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that I use Joe's method above pretty much exactly the way he says it with one exception:

For us, the soundtrack ALWAYS faces the tree and away from the auditorium no matter if the platter is on the operator side of the projector or if it's on the non-operator side of the projector. I've heard all of the arguments as to keeping the emulsion side on the rollers, and it all may very well be true. I just don't see evidence of the advantage in our location. We've gone for months and months and months without scratching anything... until a manager comes up and tries to run things their own way. Then all of a sudden we may have two scratched prints.

I would add that threading bottom up also allows you to not have to waste time afterward taking up the slack on the take up platter. Yes you still have to take up the slack, but for me that happens while threading the bottom roller on the projector at the same time. It only saves a few seconds but it counts.

And I would say that I do not thread to the "START" (8 second) mark. I thread before that and then manually advance to it. That way I can look at the film advancing in the projector and be sure that I don't have any problems (film slipping off sprocket teeth, or pad roller pinching the film, etc.)

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2008 08:23 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the theatre where I help run film festivals, I work with Christie AW3s on the gear side of Century SA-TA projectors and thread in sort of a convoluted bottom-up/top-down fashion; soundtrack facing wall from platter to projector and facing away on the return trip.

First I thread the payout deck of the platter, run the film through the top projector guidance roller, give the film a half-twist, then take the film back to the platter and thread the takeup deck (yes, the "V" trick).

At the projector, I set the intermittent, then draw off slack from the platter takeup (triggering the motor and keeping the film off the floor), thread the lower guidance roller and failsafe, then clamp the film in place in the holdback sprocket of the R3 soundhead.

Next, I'll draw off enough slack from the payout side to load the film trap and intermittent, feed sprocket, idler sprocket, and soundhead, in that order.

Lastly, I release the holdback sprocket pad and feed off any remaining slack to bring the film into proper tension at the sound drum, then--as Mark recommended in the preceding post--manually advance the film to the proper starting point to ensure the film runs smoothly through the projector.

Whew. Thank goodness for AW3s! I could never pull this off with certain other platters (*cough* Potts *cough* Strong). [Smile]

As to why I do it that way, the goal is keeping film off the floor. That, and because I never got the hang of threading in a pure bottom-up fashion.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-08-2008 08:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know...little rules to guide the newbie are fine and consistancy is the key...particularly when trying to diagnose the problem.

I normally let the equipment and the film path dictate the way I thread a paricular theatre. The film is always presented a path that presents the least amount of twisting and also how the film sits on the rollers is taken into consideration.

I can thready top->down, bottom->up or even middle->out...again it depends on the equipment and, quite frankly what position I'm in as to where I'll start. Generally speaking, I thread top-down still but often with Kinoton FP20/30s, I thread bottom up, it just feels more natural. Regardless of method, I never dump the film on the floor, the travel on the take up mechanism normally is sufficient to allow the full projector be threaded...thus, on can pull the film up too (from the take up side of things).

Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-08-2008 10:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
I would add that threading bottom up also allows you to not have to waste time afterward taking up the slack on the take up platter.
quote: Jon Miller
Whew. Thank goodness for AW3s! I could never pull this off with certain other platters (*cough* Potts *cough* Strong).
I have the Strong platters which have the 4-way switches on each deck (OFF is totally useless, I usually just leave the decks on PAYOUT unless they need to be set to REWIND). Anyway, the way I teach others to thread these decks is to have them both set to PAYOUT and when the projector threading is done, switch the takeup deck to REWIND while braking the platter deck so it doesn't go apeshit insane and try to crush the leader and bend rollers all out of whack (which it WILL if you are not careful). The way I thread is to put the takeup deck on REWIND right at the start, so the deck is spinning away as I thread the platter. When I get to the ring I let the spinning deck take the leader on its own and tension comes naturally. The variac drops on its own at this point. Then as I begin to thread the projector I pull from the bottom to engage the variac and quickly pull so it raises without slamming into the top, that way it doesn't try to spin at warp 90, then I put the film into the bottom feedout roller and then upwards through the projector. I don't teach newbs this because I don't think I would like all of the crushed leader. It is easy to teach a newb this on a Christie platter, though.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 12:37 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run changeovers so I don't have to deal with 30 feet of leaders anymore. [Razz]

With my FP-38's I pull the film from the feed reel, start the leader on the takeup reel and wind down until the 10' (Academy) is right in front of the lens. I then thread the gate and upper feed sprocket. If using DTS, I then thread the extra sprockets and film capstans and DTS reader (mounted where the old 4-track mag goes). Then on the the reverse scan analog reader (BACP) and finally take up the slack on the takeup reel. Advance the film to the proper frame for the changeover.

So essentially I start in the middle and work up then down.

Best part the film never hits the floor. [Big Grin]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 01:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
I pull the film from the feed reel, start the leader on the takeup reel
..and I also used to do that all the time when doing a changeover house - attach the lead to the takeup first before the threading procedure.

Never on the floor (I was taught that at a drive-in...so much dust out there that the owner didn't his Motiographs damaged with dust in the machine during threadup..) and carried it over to this day.

quote: Joe Redifer
Anyway, the way I teach others to thread these decks is to have them both set to PAYOUT and when the projector threading is done, switch the takeup deck to REWIND while braking the platter deck so it doesn't go apeshit insane and try to crush the leader and bend rollers all out of whack
I do the same with my A3 platters - just make sure that the REWIND deck is NOT switched to REWIND ..I train to have the switch to the OFF position on that deck.

With the AP3's that doesn't have that rotary switch, I train with flipping the makeup switch in the ON position so the REWIND deck doesn't take off when that return roller lifts up so the deck doesn't take off when film get's accidently tightened when finishing the thread-up.

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-08-2008 01:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to pick on Tony for a minute because I see this all the time and it irks me.

quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
With my FP-38's I pull the film from the feed reel, start the leader on the takeup reel and wind down until the 10' (Academy) is right in front of the lens.
Bad practice. Pull down just enough to reach the takeup reel, thread the projector and then motor (or POS if your projector has it) down to the starting area. Handling the film on the countdown is precisely why older films that have "never been plattered" look like absolute shit at the reel changes, and lets be honest here, even really bad film handling practices during buildup and breakdown to/from a platter don't make the film THAT crusty at the ends of the reels. Fact of the matter is Tony's procedure is handling the film TOO CLOSE (only a wrap or two away) from the first/last section of picture.

Sadly Dolby is a big part of this film handling nonsense. Ever since 1992 people running SRD have had to deal with NOT using the motor switch to prevent triggering a false changeover, and most techs are not intelligent and/or don't care enough to give their operators a motor switch that isn't connected to the Dolby system for advancing leader. The result is that even a spectacular projectionist running such a booth is forced to use Tony's exact procedure above. [puke]

Assuming you have a booth that does not have such traditional silliness in regards to a SRD system and you have one of those leaders with 50 feet of clear before any framelines start and you don't have any time to add some extra leader or put a few frameline marks an arm's stretch from the tip end, just throw the film "good enough" into the projector, motor it down and then adjust the film in the gate and check your loops then. The film is handled much less, and also the entire leader isn't dragged across the side of the reel and/or projector.

With that being said, I thread platters bottom up and reel to reel top down. With platters you have the stretch of film hanging over the top roller of the projector that has just enough weight to keep the film out of your way, and you can pull as needed easily, so bottom up is much faster and easier. With reel to reel the way I do it the film never reaches the floor anyway, and with a heavy reel to pull (often slung backwards over the lamphouse to accommodate a ceiling height restriction) it is faster and easier to thread top down.

The big question Joe didn't ask is...how do you thread your test loops??? [Razz]

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2008 02:39 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got Century SAs and Christie AW3s, with the platters on the non-operator side. I thread the leader from the platter to the top roller on the projector and then back to the platter. Back at the projector, I pull leader down from the top roller while keeping the lower half off the ground. I thread the leader through the bottom roller, the fail-safe/optical cue reader rollers, lock it in place over the last sprocket, and finally pull the slack out to activate the take-up platter. Next I pull some leader down from the top roller and thread top-to-bottom through the Cat. 702 and projector, making sure to get the intermittent in the correct location to be in frame with the right loop sizes. Then I let any excess leader slip past the last sprocket so I can tension up the analog reader and finally motor the leader through.

I was trained with the "pull a pile of leader onto the floor" method but after having read about the "bottom up" method I've used that (or a variation of it) as it just feels more natural to me. I have tried threading the entire projector up from the bottom in one step but it just doesn't seem as intuitive to me with our particular projectors.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-08-2008 09:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, if you ever see the video of me making a changeover at the Uptown...you'll note that I do a "double-bump" to avoid the Dolby digital Changeover and also use the motor to keep ones hands FAR away from the countdown...in fact, the extra "leader" was just old trailers...easy to thread in frame.

While I'm not a fan of the double bump, it did not seem to have any notable motor issues due to the second start. With an inverter drive, things would have been much easier on the motor and everything else.

Speaking of the Kinoton positioning button...for some reason, Kinoton has deemed it isn't needed on "ES" grade and above...we add the functionality back in because it is the right thing to do.

Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 11:24 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While on one hand I do agree with Brad, there are several points that need to be considered:

First, most prints do not have sufficient leader(With proper frame lines far enough ahead of the first frame of picture (FFP)) to permit threading up and rolling down into the proper timing for changeover;

Since we don't run first run, we don't have a supply of trailers (a good idea BTW) to act as additional footage to thread up on;

A LOT of the prints I run are archival/last prints around and they take a very dim view of any "added" splices, especially in the leaders;

In most cases, I do wear editor's gloves (and if not, I have a restroom and wash my hands frequently while running) and I ALWAYS clean the machines between reels.

Finally, I have kelmar cleaners for both machines and use Film-guard as needed. And the aux roller on the film cleaner bracket allows me to wind the film down without contacting the projector frame or lens.

In short, while I can see the point Brad has made, I disagree that my threading method causes ANY dirt build-up that can migrate to the image areas.

The REAL problem with dirt/scratches on 80%+ of the prints I get is caused by the bad condition of the shipping cans (flaking cardboard inserts, etc.) AND people who don't properly secure the leaders. (See the "Hey you suck" thread..)

In 11 years of operations at my booth NOT ONE print has left with scratches/dirt caused by my handling or equipment, and this is as confirmed by the feedback from MGM and other archives. In fact the Korean Film Archive sent a very nice letter to my dept. head thanking us for CLEANING AND "RESTORING" their prints.

Having said that, I will state that I DO agree that it would be far better to have an extended leader, with proper frame lines, to thread up on. But until labs start providing them (or I revert back to a first run cinema with platters), I will continue to thread as I do and sleep soundly about it. [Big Grin]

Edited to add:

quote: Steve Guttag
Speaking of the Kinoton positioning button...for some reason, Kinoton has deemed it isn't needed on "ES" grade and above...we add the functionality back in because it is the right thing to do.

As much as those machines cost, I am dismayed that they took away the POS (Position) button. It is a far better way to advance the film instead of bumping the motor switch. Thankfully Steve is putting that function back. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: