Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thoughts on the Phillips EL5100 16mm

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Phillips EL5100 16mm
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 08:29 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any Thoughts or reviews on the Phillips EL5100 16mm projector...

I'm looking for a decent 16mm thats nice on old film.. and can take 6000ft reels

|  IP: Logged

Hans Van Der Vlist
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 09:26 AM      Profile for Hans Van Der Vlist   Email Hans Van Der Vlist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During my stay in the military service I've worked with the Philips EL5100.( it's a left hand treading machine)
The projectors I've worked with had a film capacity of only 2000 feet.
Also the lamp was very special it had a built-in mirror and the whole set-up didn't get much light on the screen.
On the other hand the film transport consisted of a intermittent/worm wheel system that gave a rock-steady image!
( it has an intermittent but no Maltese cross).
If you want I can send you an email with a picture of the worm wheel system.
If you want to run 6000 feet reels you could lengthen the arms or run the film from a platter.
And if you want to have some light on the screen you also should alter the light system. ( f.i. 24v 250 watt lamp ELC)

I know that Philips also made a stationary cinema 16mm projector based on the 5100.
It has a Xenon lamp house and a possibility for large reels but it is basically the same projector.
If I am not mistaken that was the Philips/Kinoton FP18?
Hope this helps,
Hans
h.v.d.vlist@hccnet.nl

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-07-2008 12:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The EL5100 was installed here on many FP7 bases with a small xenon lamphouse behind it usuallya 900watt vertical cinemecanica
The proper coloumn version was the original FP16

Hans Van Der Vlist
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2008 03:25 AM      Profile for Hans Van Der Vlist   Email Hans Van Der Vlist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course FP16!!
Thanks for the correction Gordon. [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-08-2008 08:15 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While there are similarities to the FP16 and the EL5000 series, they are not identical at all.

We've gone as high as 1600-watts on the EL5000 stuff (Strong Lume-X) and have had wonderful results.

Running 6000' reels is definitely a kludge. We extended the upper arm with some handy spare aluminum bar stock. As I recall, for the lower reel, we just mounted the spindle lower and obtained a longer belt. I want to say the clearence for the lower reel and the various mounting hardware made things quite tight.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: