Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New security featrue on Madagascar 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: New security featrue on Madagascar 2
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-06-2008 10:11 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was on the back of the information sheet in the can.

Dear Manager/Projectionist:

**Special instructions for sound security system on Madagascar 2**

There is a digital sound reversion within REEL 3 of MADAGASCAR 2, where the sound will switch from Digital to Analog. These reversions are part of a security system that is embedded within all prints of MADAGASCAR 2. If you should experience sound level issues between digital and analog you will have to re-balance the sound levels between Digital and Analog and this will correct the situation. Please test the levels by listening outside of the booth; you should not hear the drop out within the theatre. The reversion should only last a few seconds within REEL 3.

Thank you for your assistance!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-06-2008 10:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You seem to have a few typos in your translation of the enclosure. I have corrected it below.

There is a digital sound reversion within REEL 3 of MADAGASCAR 2, where the sound will switch from Digital to Analog if you supported either Dolby or Sony by choosing one of their digital systems instead of dts. These reversions are part of a security system that is embedded within all prints of MADAGASCAR 2, but has been carefully designed to only punish those people who did not invest in dts. If you should experience sound level issues between digital and analog you will have to re-balance the sound levels between Digital and Analog and this will correct the situation provided you have a top notch Dolby SR analog system to fall back to while we intentionally kill the Dolby and SDDS digital soundtracks. Please test the levels by listening outside of the booth; you should not hear the drop out within the theatre provided you purchased a dts digital system. The reversion should only last a few seconds within REEL 3. We hope this favoritism will lead to more sales of dts equipment and a future lawsuit against us from Dolby and/or Sony.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-06-2008 11:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't get that memo.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-07-2008 12:21 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
deleted..

- Monte

[ 11-08-2008, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 12:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the Same thing in mine as well. Now at least I have an excuse to get the sound checked out as it is now designed to go to Analog. I wonder if you could find it and cut it out. Although they did say it would be a few seconds. Great something else to explain to our "Don't know it all customers."

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-07-2008 02:04 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
prob be easy since this section of film will have the Dolby and SDDS tracks blackened out, or not printed in - just be clear film,which would be easy to see on the filmroll while it sits on the platter - so the respective readers won't see anything..

Be kinda funny though if all the prints comes back to the depots with splices in that 3rd reel where that dropout happened.

-Monte

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2008 03:06 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, having the film switch from one sound system to another is unacceptable, but having several seconds of the film missing completely is acceptable? [Confused] I don't think this is a good idea, but removing the footage would be a much worse one.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-07-2008 05:49 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad's translation [Wink]

This time is official. Let's see if something happens.

Marco.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-07-2008 07:38 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you are a riot. You guys should make a mockup of Brad's insert and replace it in the can when you return the print; change the letterhead just enuf so they can't claim copyright infringement (you know how testy they get about that particular subject). Who is this insert from, Pixar? Make it Pixilar. And replace the original text with Brad's most excellent interpretation. I would only add this line to Brad's: "Not only are we punishing all of you who didn't purchase DTS, but ALL of you who haven't yet purchased DIGITAL as well, because this security garbage only affects you poor film-based slobs. No one ever tries to bootleg DIGITAL versions with their camcorders, so digital doesn't revert to anything, except your bankruptcy....ooops, I think we've said too much."

First it was CRAP codes, then it was the BIGGER, more orangey, more annoying CRAP codes, then came the R2D2 noises recorded on the soundtrack, then the big THUMP thing, now it's "Hey, let's just drop the digital tracks out completely -- let's see how good their analog sound systems are aligned (laughter all around the MPAA Security Division "think-tank" conference table)." Congratulations all around the table, and then the moderator says, "OK aholes, next on the agenda -- Hitting up the studios for higher MPAA membership dues for coming up with this brilliant 'drop the soundtrack' security idea."

I swear, these suits need a good case of hemorrhoids, then remedied with the cherry-bomb-up-the-anus-ectemy.

Why not just print the print number in big white numerals on a black background on a few dozen frames every so often in random places on random reels---no make that on EVERY reel -- and accompany the visual print number by that same number audibly toned out on the soundtrack with telco Touch-Tone digits (naturally the film soundtrack will have to be dropped out for those tones, so they can be heard clearly and unencumbered by the inconsequential soundtrack). Hmmm, I have may have a new career at the MPAA.

Amend: make it double cherry bombs.

[ 11-07-2008, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Frank Angel ]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 10:29 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad's "correction" is hoot. Good Work!

When I read the original insert included with the film, I was
wondering if it would also affect DTS playback, since I will be running this in a DTS auditorium. I thought maybye they'd mess up a few seconds of time-code and have the system revert to analog.

But the way I'm interpreting Brad's 'clarification', what you're telling me is that the "security" feature only applies to the DD and SDDS tracks.

That makes no sense.

(Well,the whole thing makes no sense so trying to make sense out of it is senseless, I guess)

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 10:34 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"These reversions are part of a security system that is embedded within all prints of MADAGASCAR 2."
Is the security feature intended to discourage pirates from taping off a theater screen because of a sound drop-out, like these guys taping are concerned about quality [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-2008 10:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Its the same audio CRAP code that Paramount has been using. There was a big discussion about it on the Indiana Jones prints here.

I checked and this new anti-piracy system indeed does NOT punish people who purchased dts. They are showing favoritism.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 11:18 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ed brings up a good question. By reverting to analog, what kind of piracy countermeasure is that? Especially if the drop happens to occur in the same reel in each copy. Do they place the drop out at different times in different copies of the reel?

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 11:28 AM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This also happened with Paramount's Eagle Eye...you'd think that if they HAD to do this audio CAP code on the prints then they would pick a somewhat quieter scene where it wasn't as noticeable.

But NO, they had to do it in a whole reel with a major action sequence. There were at least four or five noticeable, audible dropouts involving big, loud sound effects. Terribly distracting.

Can anyone tell me exactly what this anti-piracy measure DOES to avert pirates? Camcorder versions of Indiana Jones and Eagle Eye still made it online no problem, and I'm sure Madagascar 2 will too.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-07-2008 12:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, With Digital, they already have both visual and audible "watermarking." With digital, however, they can get it right down to the pixel and get the theatre's equipment to do the marking so there is no doubt which theatre had the pirate (each server/projector is registered).

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: