Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mystery 16mm projector

Author Topic: Mystery 16mm projector
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 05:38 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone recognize the projector in the picture on the following page?

Grandview Theatre Insight - 16mm anyone?

This was in the theater I've taken over and the entire projector is painted with a heavy coat of pink, thereby obscuring any identifying marks. I'd like to find an operating or maintenance manual to use as a reference to see if I can't get it going again.

-David

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 05:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like an old RCA converted to run carbon arc. Takeup looks definitely from a B&H adaptation for large reel usage.

-Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 06:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice if that film wasn't draped over it to see it better

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 06:20 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The stand, lamphouse & take up mechanism appear to be
from a later model Bell & Howell FilmoArc.

The projector is an RCA 400 or similar RCA model 16mm
projector with the ass-end (amplifier) removed so it
could be used with the arc lamp.

The feed reel arm does not appear to be of either B&H
or RCA manufacture and looks home-made to me.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 06:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, feed definitely looks homemade, but that motorized take up ass'y, esp the cloth belt used as a friction device on the spindle ass'y for constant torque for takeup definitely hit me as a B&H setup.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 06:27 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like an RCA 400 series projector. The lamp is not original or is an added feature since the RCA lamps were quite square green boxes. Note the black framing knob at the top of the case behind the lens and aperture areas. The 6,000 foot reel arm is also an adaptation.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 07:00 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks for the info. The picture is one that I grabbed on my first walkthrough, so I wasn't able to getting a clearer picture. Now that I have the theatre, the booth and environs are second on the list for cleaning. The first is a 20 gallon grease trap that hasn't been cleaned in years apparently.

Found this in the Prelinger archives...

B&H 400 Sales Film?

Also found a few sources for the maintenance manual on eBay.

-David

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 07:39 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frankensixteen is a combination Bell & Howell FilmoArc lamphouse (Converted to Xenon by Leonard Pinkus) FilmoArc base & motorized FilmoArc take up arm. The projector is an RCA 400. The feed arm is from an Eastman 25. Me thinks they should have used the rest of the Eastman! [Big Grin]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 08:35 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the benefit of the archives...here's the picture being discussed.

-

William Del Valle
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 09:14 PM      Profile for William Del Valle   Email William Del Valle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE projector is aN RCA 400 about 1960 vintage. the take up looks to be a B&H modified rig. About that time RCA had replaced most of the steel gears with nylon or fiber gears (to make it cheaper).I Have parts(steel gears) and manuals for all RCA projectors. My dad designed them for 50 years. I can supply you with whatever you need for RCA projectors. The projector probably need just a cleaning. RCA projectors will outrun any projector made.You can email me directly at wd3_77082@yahoo.com

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 09:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
psst! Edit you post and take your email out. Your profile has your email post for ones to reply back to you - Just put down "email me for info" in it's place.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2008 03:49 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's called a RCA Porta Arc and was a slightly modified RCA 400 projector. They had a base with shelf for an amplifier.

Arc used Purlex carbons (5.5mm neg & 6mm pos. Same carbons as B&H, Ampro, Victor, etc. Lamp is a modified Strong Junior Hi design with a smaller reflector.

Worked OK but Ampro and B&H put out more light with larger reflectors. Looks like someone has modified the upper & lower reel arms on this one.
Dick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: