Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thank you, Robert Harris! (Godfather) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Thank you, Robert Harris! (Godfather)
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-03-2008 07:58 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the September 35mm release prints of The Godfather.

Reel 1 leader between 5 and 4 feet.
 -

More details in the FITA entry

--jhawk
Edit: FITA url

[ 11-04-2008, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: John Hawkinson ]

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-03-2008 08:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-03-2008 10:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teaser topic title. Instant BAN!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-03-2008 10:07 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I always wanted to marry you. (I was afraid Robert might not see it otherwise).

--jhawk

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2008 11:44 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good to put that information there, but the "restoration" itself doesn't look very good, imo. and why not put an id frame there while he's at it?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-04-2008 12:54 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cyan soundtrack!?! [Confused] Some repertory house that only shows film occasionally (and thus may not have converted to LED readers) is going to get screwed with that.

Otherwise, nice! [thumbsup]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 01:00 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl, you know that Robert is a participant on these forums?

Scott, I don't know, I suppose you should ask that question of Emily Horn or Robert Harris.

I just finished watching it (Yawn, 2am). I think it looks pretty good, actually. And it has a 5-channel mix.

Curiously, the platter folks didn't leave reference frames on the tails (perhaps because of SPLICE HERE markers).

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2008 01:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that's because there is absolutely no reason to leave an ID frame on the tail. For those who need the ID frame crutch, leaving ONE frame on the head is positive identification for the entire print anyway. Think about it. [Wink]

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 07:14 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This appears to be one of the first prints produced. Archival prints are being produced as high magenta. Per the comment re: the film not looking good... it looks proper, but will only look so when properly projected at 16 fl, with a minimum of 14 fl a necessity.

The analogue track was designed as a "legacy" track, and represents the original monaural mix, while the digital are all stereo.

RAH

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-04-2008 08:33 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No DTS?

What does LED Power P=21 S=25 in the SDDS track mean? P and S are picture side and sound side tracks, of course, but what do the numbers mean?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, if only this kind of information, or even anything close to it could have been routinely printed in all those blank leader frames in years past -- imagine how much help it would have been to archivists and even projectionists. Even the simplest things like the correct aspect ratio would have been a great help. The SMPTE RPs encouraged more information in the leader soundtrack and image areas, but not many labs paid much attention to it. Hell, not many labs ever gave up the academy leader. The SMPTE leader remained just kind of a footnote.

And once again, Mr. Harris, your persistant efforts in restoration which have giving us back some of our greatest cinematic treasures, leave this poster in awe and with a feeling of gratitude as I am sure is the case with many other cinemaphiles on this forum. Thank you many times over for your remarkable achievments.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-04-2008 10:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What little I saw of it looked okay. It was a bit softer than I remember it and where I QCed it, we definitely had 16fL and 80 lp/mm in the middle with no worse than 68 lp/mm on any target. I also want to say that the blacks weren't as rick and deep as I remember...I saw most of R1 and R2. Now it could be, the last time I saw this in a theatre it was underlit and made things look darker.

The wedding scene in the current restoration was damn near blinding! My personal opinion is that it would have looked better at 14fL...at least on a large screen.

Steve

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 11:35 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, there is absolutely DTS. It doesn't start until the 3-foot mark or so though.

--jhawk

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-04-2008 04:52 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanna know how you scanned that leader, J Hawk!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 05:46 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used a Thompson GrassValley Spirit 4k Datacine, Tim! And a Northlight for some titles. The number '5' was scanned by Joe (an "immense artist") dressed up as Marion Cotillard on a Canon 9950 flatbed scanner.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: