Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ivie PC-40

Author Topic: Ivie PC-40
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-01-2008 04:11 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought an Ivie PC-40 RTA on ebay. I don't really know why. Nostalgia, I guess. Actually, I wasn't even seriously intent on buying it. I bid $200 but thought somebody would outbid me. I was wrong. Don't mess around on ebay when you are bored!

Anyway, I started it up and it works fine, then I pressed the QUIT button and it exited the program. Now I can't get back into the RTA mode. It wants to connect to a PC link and I haven't figured out how to exit from there and get back to the RTA mode. Rebooting it doesn't make any difference.

I took a quick look at the manual but didn't see anything relating to that. Maybe it is somewhere in the manual, but it is so much more convenient to ask stupid questions than to read the manual.

So, does anyone know how to get back into RTA mode?

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2008 05:21 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the same thing many, many years ago . . . . . . I can't remember what I did to get the program loaded again, but I think it was as simple as typing the name of the RTA program (like how you ran programs under DOS) - it has been so long I really can't remember, but I know it was simple.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-01-2008 05:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one and still use it for A-Chains and a quick B-Chain balance. I prefer the ballistics of it over the R-2 for A-Chains. Ivie still provides complete support for these analyzers if you need help with it... If the batteries are flat... there is at least one other inside other than the main battery I believe for the clock. Its best to replace em all at once if need be. If you power it up and get the opn screen menu just hit enter three times and that should get you to the RT program. There is also the dasterdly "reset" button located in a recessed hole on one of the sides. Press that with it turned on and it should put you back to default power on mode... If that doesn't work just call IVIE on Monday...

So how ya likin Booston?

Mark

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2008 06:00 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds right - I must have just hit enter to see what would happen and it eventually loaded . . . . . the typing of a program name might have been something different, its been way too long to remember some items . . . . .

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-01-2008 06:38 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pressing the reset button in resets it to a screen saying "P1: PC-PC...937 Bytes". There are additional lines "P2-P5" each of which says "O Bytes". Selecting the first line just gets it back to that PC link option, it syas "WAITING FOR LINK", and hitting RETURN three times just moves the curser down...

So I consulted the manual after all, and it actually explains what to do on one of the last pages. In my case, I found myself in the MS BASIC section and to get back to the main menu, I had to type SYSTEM and then I could select the PC-40 program again.

Boston is a lot of fun, there is much more interesting stuff going on in the city and the area than in most other places in the US I have been to. The Winter can be a little bit harsh and long, as I found out when I came here in February and it took until the end of March to get reasonably nice again...and I am not looking forward to the cold months although it is still quite nice right now. Winter has its nice sides and moments, too though and while I do miss the weather in Southern California, the area is much more interesting to live in. There are some actual urban "neighborhoods" here, not just shopping malls and bedroom communities, believe it or not!
We are also doing a lot of interesting projects here. Last week, I did the first 70mm work in a long time. It took a few moments and some looking in the manuals, but then it all came back.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-02-2008 12:45 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quite enjoyed Boston when I lived there, too, although I must admit New York has grown on me. [thumbsup]

Boston or New York, I can do without winter regardless.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: