Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Will a CP-200 without a cat 160 card output anything?

Author Topic: Will a CP-200 without a cat 160 card output anything?
Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2008 10:54 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am assembling the sound rack in my home screening room. The CP-200 I acquired several months ago is stock (with cat 22's and all) and has all the cards except the Cat 160 optical bass extension card is missing. (anyone got a spare cheap?) If I power this baby up without this card will I get any sound out of it at all or is this card a requirement to complete the signal path? Sorry in advance for the newbie-ish question. I'm not a pro cinema tech and this is my first exposure to a real dolby audio processor.

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-28-2008 11:11 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not looked at the block diagram in a while, but you will get no optical analog sound without one. Optical sound will work in bypass after a fashion.

I have a bunch of them in my piles of stuff. Name you price, wine, popcorn, whatever.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2008 11:46 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are still up in Martinez, I will hand deliver a bottle of your favorite wine in exchange for one good sir! [Smile] send me an email through the forum.

Darko Milev
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2008 04:54 AM      Profile for Darko Milev   Email Darko Milev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr.Martinez,
does your dungeon warehouse contains some 108C and 150E/F for sale?
Mind you, I am located in VERY strong wine region in Europe!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Regards,
Darko

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-01-2008 10:41 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Mr. Chavez or Sam to my friends. 108C's are definitely gone but there may be a 150 or two.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2008 09:38 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi MR! :-)

Anyway...what is a big difference between 108 and 108C...I did see only difference in opamp ??

P.S. Darko, please read PM!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-02-2008 11:01 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main difference is in extended freq. response and improved separation between left and right channels.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2008 11:34 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Improved separation on CAT108?? What this mean...I know that all four indentical inputs...don't know how they did make "more" separation.

I know major difference was better response....but I'm interested how that they achieved....new design or?? Because they are similar to me, only I newer saw 108C schematic.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-02-2008 12:30 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was crosstalk between left and right channels because of the layout of the 108 circuit board and the choice of pinouts on the edge connector and backplane layout. This limited the ultimate performance of the Cat. 150 matrix decoder in its ability to accurately "steer" the signal to the appropriate channel.

The C version dealt with this with improved board layout and anti crosstalk circuitry. How exactly it worked I don't recall anymore, but it did improve the performance.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2008 08:15 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
The C version dealt with this with improved board layout and anti crosstalk circuitry. How exactly it worked I don't recall anymore, but it did improve the performance.
Anti crosstalk.....okay this is funny for them, also didn't know that they needed 10 years to figure out that....

Also I checked.....op amp are powered ONLY by single rail supply.....maybe they figured out in C that would be better to go on double rail supply??

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-03-2008 10:03 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about priorities. The fact that Dolby actually improved the performance of processors already out of production is to be commended. Many companies just make you buy a new unit to get improved performance.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-03-2008 01:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The crosstalk issue was actually addressed in the 108-4.

The 108C widened the frequency response (works much better on reverse scan readers) and also used a ground-plane fill on the PCB to lower the noise.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: